Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly Saved Downloaded files MIA

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zestyaz

zestyaz

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

Up until 12-12-2012, I could download a file from my credit card company that would open automatically with excel - then save it to the directory of my choice on my pc and rename it eg visa201212.xls.

Suddenly, when I do this there is normal indication that the file is saved but when the file is closed it is not physically found in the directory.
When in excel, if I try to open visa201212.xls the file name does not appear list.
If I try to save a new file to visa201212.xls it tells me that that filename already exists
Windows explorer does not show the file.

I tried showing all files including system files.
Searching for visa201212.xls in my computer
Running Bleeping computer unhide program

I have run both Malwarebytes and ZoneAlarm scans and found no viruses

If I copy the data to a new spreadsheet and save it, everything works fine - but I never had to do that before.
*** only if I open a new instance of Excel. Otherwise, same as above.

It is a concern that something evil may be lurking on my computer

Hope you have some suggestions for me.

Thanks

ps Firefox 17.0.1

Edited by zestyaz, 17 December 2012 - 08:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zestyaz

zestyaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

This thread can be closed. The problem turned out to be a surprise feature of my security software.

fyi - My system
Win 7 64 home premium
ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 10.2.081.000 ==>> I have used ZAX software for YEARS!
Browser Firefox 17.0.1

Anyway, it was Microsoft community that help me uncover the problem.
1. use safe mode with networking to duplicate. The problem vanished.
2. msconfig after hiding microsoft components, turn off all services
3. enabled a number of services and restarted (took me 4 times) until the problem software was identified.
look here if you are interested.
RE: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/unable-to-find-files-downloaded-to-computer/d9114757-192d-4323-882a-f6cad05ffb70

It turned out to be web security feature of ZAX
This also stopped ability to use open folder containing function from download page.

I disabled it - restarted - then reenabled it and now be computer behaves as before.
Maybe something tripped it - I don't know.
But I am now a happy user once again.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Thank you for the update.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users