Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How does Windows 8 desktop handle unexpected power outage?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cat33

cat33

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

Whenever my windows xp desktop froze up, I would turn it off by turning off my surge protector. When I turned the computer back on it would either load normally or do a check disk. I assumed all computers were set to do that until my xp wouldn't boot anymore and I had to do some research.

So far my Windows 8 has not froze up on me. What is the right thing to do if it does freeze up? Should I turn it off using my surge protector switch or press the power button till it goes off? I have tried to find the settings for unexpected power loss and I can't find them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

These settings would most likely be in your bios, it should say something like power on, stay off. If you don't know how to access your bios please let me know the model of your PC and I should be able to help. What to do if your computer freezes up, use the power button, and only if you can not access the task manager or power options via Control-Alt-Delete.

Edited by C.L.C, 17 December 2012 - 04:23 PM.

#3 cat33

cat33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

I am set to automatically restart on system failure. I somehow found it in advanced system settings. It's going take me a while to learn my way around Windows 8. Yikes.

Edited by cat33, 17 December 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#4 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

I am set to automatically restart on system failure. I somehow found it in advanced advanced system settings. It's going take me a while to learn my way around Windows 8. Yikes.

That I believe would come into play if you get a blue screen of death, what I'm talking about in the bios is if the power goes out and comes back on quickly, like it does in storms. If that happens you don't want it to stay on because it could cause data corruption if it happens too many times.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

I'll make a suggestion, Power outages and Windows are not a good combination. If you get frequent power outages I would suggest getting a UPS (Uninterpretable Power Supply) Be Sure to get one that can power your system a good UPS will give a output power rating on the box. The one I use on my I7 has a 750watt output rating. That means it can power up to 750 watts of equipment. That is independent of the VA rating. The VA rating is related to the size (Capacity) of the battery and not to the power it can put out.

This might help. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 17 December 2012 - 04:46 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 cat33

cat33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

My landlord seems to want me to move so there is not much I can do about my electricity situation except move. I'm not losing power but have a problem with clocks not keeping proper time. I realized I have tried 4 different outlets with no luck. I can't remember when the problem started. I get use to waking up at a certain time so I don't need an alarm clock most of the time. I have a clock plugged into my kitchen outlet and I have to fix the time every day. By the the next day the time is an hour ahead.

I just bought a pack of two 9 volt batteries to put in the clock radios and I will see if that helps them keep the time stable. I now have about five clock radios that can't keep proper time. I don't throw them away because the radios still work ok.

My computer seems to keep proper time but is set to sync with the internet so maybe that's why the time on the computer don't seem affected. I set the xp computer aside for the time being because I don't know how to fix it and I don't have a spare monitor so it's going to be in storage for awhile. I think my xp quit because it is 6 years old and I never cleaned the inside before and didn't take proper care of it.

#7 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

My landlord seems to want me to move

If I were you, I get out ASAP. The electrical problems you're describing could lead to a fire. I don't mean to panic you, but older houses with old wiring usually burn sooner or later. I'd make sure I wasn't there when it happens.

#8 cat33

cat33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

I'm not exactly panicked but I am taking action to get of here. I bought a Standby UPS backup power today. Mine will protect 375W. That should be enough because I try to get the lowest wattage devices I can because I don't want to stress my old wiring. I only got one desktop that works. I would have got a laptop instead but I like desktops better.

Actually some of the wiring is less than 15 years old but I'm not sure my landlords repair guy knew exactly what he was doing. He had a repair guy show up one day and put in some new outlets but left one that didn't work anymore unfixed. I don't know what that was about. I guess he found some guy in training and got a good deal or something.

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

might have been said already ,from your first post ,if the computer has locked up or froze up ,it will not matter how you shut it down,power bar or computer button ,the settings for different functions of the power button only matter if Windows is active and is responding to the command .

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users