Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unblocking and unlocking cell phones

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trouble at mill

trouble at mill

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hello, My knowledge of cell (mobile) phones is a little on the basic side, can anyone explain what Unlocking and Unblocking a cell phone actually means!.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Unlocking a cell phone is whats done to be able to use the phone on another carrier or multiple carriers. Most phones are carrier specific unless unlocked.

For example you can't take your AT&T phone and go to Verizon unless you have it 'Unlocked'. This doesn't work for all phones by the way. You need to be sure that your unlocked phone will work on the new network. Therefore you need to know if your now unlocked phone is TDMA or CDMA or GSM compatible with the new network.

Hope that answered your question.

I see that you are UK based.

Please note that the previous comments are based on US information. Unlocking still means gaining access to the phone software to allow it to use another carrier. I'm not positive what carrier protocols are used in the UK.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 martharogers

martharogers

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

Unblock means that a phone is blocked by a network provider and u can't unblock it.Well unlocking refers to that a phone is locked to one particular network due to this it won't accept other network sim. If you want to unlock your mobile visit Unlocking4free.com here they generate code to unlock your mobile at free of cost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users