Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access files on partitiened drive in Win 8

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bipe

bipe

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

I recently made a clean installation of Win 8 on my computer. I have a 1TB harddisk which is divided into two partitions. Win 8 and program on C, and alle my personal files on E. After the reinstallation I can't open any of my files on E.

I have tried with sharing and with chaging the settings on the security tab, but nothing seems to help. I looks like Win 8 has taken control of everything on my computer. Can anybody come up with a solution, please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

It sounds like a file permissions problem, when you installed windows 8 was the other partition already there or did you create it afterwords?

#3 Sophia77

Sophia77

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:41 AM

Run CHKDSK Utility on your E: Drive and Fix file system Errors.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

It sounds like a file permissions problem, when you installed windows 8 was the other partition already there or did you create it afterwords?

I agree..this is probably the issue. Permissions are stored in the files and you just dont have permission to use them as they belong to an account that no longer exists in Windows 8.

I assume you can see the E: drive and the folder in it? What is the exact error message you receive when you try and open the files?

#5 bipe

bipe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

Yes the partition was there before I reinstalled Win 8.

I cam see the E: drive and all the folders. I can also access some of them, but to most of them access is denied the the error message: You don't have sufficient rights to open this folder.

#6 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Yes the partition was there before I reinstalled Win 8.

I cam see the E: drive and all the folders. I can also access some of them, but to most of them access is denied the the error message: You don't have sufficient rights to open this folder.

The security tab can be tricky sometimes if you are not familiar with it.

The easiest way for you to access these files if is to add take ownership to your context menu. You download 2 files, one to add take ownership to the context menu and one to remove it when you are done.

Take Ownership - Add to Context Menu in Windows 8

Edited by C.L.C, 18 December 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#7 bipe

bipe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

Sorry, but the Take ownership didn't work. I can open the files, but they are empty!!!

I have a full backup of all my data on an external HD. Will it help to format the E:drive and get the data back from the backup?

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

What directories are you looking at? Your old userprofile documents folder?

C:\users\<login name>\My Documents?

#9 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

Sorry, but the Take ownership didn't work. I can open the files, but they are empty!!!

I have a full backup of all my data on an external HD. Will it help to format the E:drive and get the data back from the backup?

Are the files hidden? Did you go into folder adn veiw options a click the tic box to show hidden files?

Try connecting your external drive and make sure you can access the files on it, if you can, go ahead and format the E drive and and put your files on from the external as long as you have access to ALL THE FILES YOU NEED! Did you use a backup program to back up the files or did you just copy them?

If you can't access the drives there are backup programs that remove file permissions when you backup files. Let me know what happens, there is always a way :)

Edited by C.L.C, 19 December 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#10 bipe

bipe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

No, the files are not hidden. I can see all the files and also open them, but most of them are empty.

I don't have any of my documents on the C: drive. I only use C for Windows and programs.

And yes I am looking in my old userprofile documents folder on my E: drive.

I will try to connect the external drive and get the files from there, if that is possible. I made a full copy just before I reinstalled Win 8 usin af backup program.

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

Any luck with your files? I find it strange that they should go missing as that drive theoretically should not have been touched by Windows 8.

#12 bipe

bipe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

I believe you are right. The files on my E:drive should have have been affected by installing Win 8. I have now been able til open all the files except files in my website folder. Maybe it is because they are made with a program that can't run on Win8.

A happy new year to all of you - you are really a great help to a lot of people!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users