Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSI GT 780 DXR been gradually malfunctioning, nearly dead

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Willseph

Willseph

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:25 AM

I purchased my MSI GT 780 DXR notebook (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152301) in Feb, 2012. I would say about April I turned my computer on and after a couple minutes I noticed a major slowdown, beginning to lock up all my software and finally my cursor before I forced a reset. I turned it back on and for the first time I saw this screen upon startup:

Posted Image

Except it had an extra error below this prompt that said something to the effect of "unable to boot, insert bootable device and press any key."

I rebooted and went into the boot manager and noticed about four different devices, and just chose one labelled Intel and it continued to boot and start up just fine. Since then, about once a month and progressively more frequently, the same thing has happened. The computer starts up, it begins to move as slow as molasses and finally locks up. Every single time it happens, the boot order gets switched around and I need to enter the options in the BIOS.

Now, in December, the same thing happened but when I attempted to start up Windows 7, it entered the repair screen. It attempted to search for errors then finally rebooted, but it could not start up again. I finally got it to boot back up again after hours of troubleshooting and tinkering. I even took out the hard drives (both in a 1.5 TB, 750 GB each RAID 0 system, just the way it came from Newegg) and replaced them, took out the secondary hard drive, and tried all kinds of stuff. Once I got it to start up I immediately transferred critical files.

I decided that the RAID system is more trouble than it's worth, and sometime between April and December at one point HDD #2 (as it showed on the RAID BIOS screen) was displaying a red "Error", though it usually continued to boot up just fine. I removed the RAID from both drives and started with a fresh Windows 8 Pro install. Everything seemed to run fine for quite some time but the next day it blue screened:

Posted Image

Following that, I once again had many issues getting it to boot up but following a restoration that wiped out most of my installed programs, initiated from Windows's system repair program, I got it to boot up, and that's about where I am now. Following the advice of my friend, I ran Memtest86+ and it passed with no errors.

I'm not too bad at computers but I don't know much about hardware, especially in laptops, so I'm pretty much at a loss at this point. If anyone can help me figure out what's going on (I've considered partial hard drive failure or, possibly, something wrong with my network card given the odd prompt I included above), I would really appreciate it. It was pretty expensive and, unfortunately, I didn't purchase any extended warranty on it. I hope I can figure out a solution that doesn't involve replacing my computer.

Here is some system information if it helps at all:

Posted Image

And, for good measure, the belly of the beast:

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

Hopefully you can still do warranty. That would be my suggestion with something that is getting progressively worse.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users