Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Collateral Damage Repair... If I'm lucky...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BigTim

BigTim

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

Allo! After working with 'Boopme' over in the Security Forum, I've been reffered up to you guys. So in a nut shell I'm upto here : I booted into the WRE off the boot disk and ran the following command through a Command Prompt : sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows

So, it ran and came back with: found some files that are corrupt but can't repair please see CBS.LOG!

Hello as it is no longer malware ,you should take this issue and the CBS log up to WIN 7 so they can straighten that out.

Ok so, can you guys help me out please.

Thanx in advance

Tim :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

Link from AII...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic476777.html/page__p__2921922#entry2921922

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

Rather than have several posts about the same problem, let's confine the discussion to the thread linked to above.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 BigTim

BigTim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

Seriously now, what are you on about Jburd1800!? That link you've put up is the one I started in the 'SECURITY' forum - which ,as it happens, after weeks of work, the Moderator 'Boopme' sent me 'HERE' to get help because we took it as far as it could go, as I've stated on my first post here? OK, now, honestly, please, I'm not trolling anyone here, but if you've got some thing to write about - HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM INSTEAD OF BECOMING ONE!!!:angry::ranting:

Thanx in advance and Merry Xmas :santa::santa::santa:

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

To determine which files could not be repaired by the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:

1. Open an elevated command prompt.
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
findstr /C:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
Note The Sfcdetails.txt file contains details from every time that the System File Checker tool has been run on the computer. The file includes information about files that were not repaired by the System File Checker tool. Verify the date and time entries to determine the problem files that were found the last time that you ran the System File Checker tool.
3. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
edit sfcdetails.txt
The Sfcdetails.txt file uses the following format:
Date/Time SFC detail

The following sample log file contains an entry for a file that could not be repaired:

2007-01-12 12:10:42, Info CSI 00000008 [SR] Cannot
repair member file [l:34{17}]"Accessibility.dll" of Accessibility, Version =
6.0.6000.16386, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_MSIL (8), Culture neutral,
VersionScope neutral, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:b03f5f7f11d50a3a}, Type
neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

If the System File Checker tool cannot repair a file, follow these steps:

1. At an elevated command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
takeown /f Path_And_File_Name
For example, type takeown /f E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll.
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER to grant administrators full access to the file:
icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F
For example, type icacls E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll /grant administrators:F.
3. Type the following command to replace the file with a known good copy of the file:
Copy Path_And_File_Name_Of_Source_File Path_And_File_Name_Of_Destination
For example, type copy E:\temp\jscript.dll E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 BigTim

BigTim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

Allo Arachibutyrophobia! Thanx so much for getting in touch, finally you've switched on the light at the end of a very long tunnel!:thumbup2: I will do exactly as you've suggested and get back to you with the result.:busy:
well here we go....

Thanx in advance

Tim

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

Good luck Tim.

dc3

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 BigTim

BigTim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

Allo, I tried what you asked and got nowhere, only one file was found in error instead of the multiples SFC said it found and then it could replace the file as one didn't exist, etc...
So, thinking laterally, I've PM'd you the CBS.Log from today only, that way, maybe you can spot some of the errors, and guide me to fixing them. I think I'm gonna need more than luck here... :wink:

Thanx in advance

Tim

#9 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

Just to clarify. I posted the link so that those helping you with your problem would have the background info available. Good luck with getting your issue fixed.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

I've PM'd you the CBS.Log from today only

Tim, While I appreciate your determination to resolve this issue, I don't respond to topics in Personal Messages (PMs). These forums are open to the public so that they can participate in them or see if it can help them solve similar issues of their own.

Please post the log that you sent me in your next post.

#11 BigTim

BigTim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Allo! Okey dokey, I'll send the file up as two seperate txt files for you. I try'd to PM you the CBS file as there was no size restriction on it...

ok here goes

Attached Files

#12 BigTim

BigTim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

it's not leeting me attach the other files as my quota is full, dunno what to do...

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

I think that there's enough there to see what's going on.

You will need to do a repair installation of your operating system, Microsoft Community has a tutorial for this.

#14 BigTim

BigTim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

Allo, I was afraid you was gonna come to that, I also believe it is the right course of action too. I'll go over there now an crack on.:killcomp: :thumbsup2::busy:
Thanx a million for you time and advice.

All the best

Merry Xmas :santa::santa::santa::santa:

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Glad to be able to help.:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users