Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer restarts on shut down, date/time change

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bezy

Bezy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

Hello,

For the past two weeks, my computer has been changing the date or time by itself. The date and time can be different the next time I would turn the computer on, or the date/time would change while the computer was on. I have not noticed the date/time changing when I start up something (like the internet), it just happens out of nowhere.

I know this may not help much, but the date/time doesn't change drastically. For example, last Sunday at about 10am, the computer time read that it was Sunday December 16th, 4 am. Whenever this would happen, I would just readjust the date/time on the Date & Time tab in the Date and Time Properties (I did not think to look at Time Zones and Internet Time then).

Another problem I have is that while shutting down my computer, sometimes my computer restarts instead. Sometimes, I see a blue screen when this happens. I cannot read the blue screen message as the screen disappears very quickly. I tried looking for the blue screen message in the event viewer, but it is not there.

I do not know if these two problems are related to one another.

I read that the random time/date changes can be caused by a dying motherboard battery. I asked some members of my family to check this, and they said that the battery is fine so the problem must be a virus. I was told to repost my question here after asking if this problem was caused by a virus. (original topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic478155.html) The moderator helping me told me that they did not believe malware was the cause of the problems.

I fixed the time by going to the date and time properties. I found out that my time zone was changed, so I fixed that. Also, I went to Internet Time and synchronized the time with the time server. I read somewhere that the date/time change problem can be solved by choosing not to synchronize time by un-checking the box (Automatically synchronize with an Internet time server), but I did not want to attempt this as I was unsure about doing this.
The date and time have not changed again yet, but I am still concerned about that issue and the issue with the restarts.

I shut down my computer earlier today. When I turned my computer on again today, I received a "new hardware found" message (and the new hardware setup wizard), but I have no idea why. I did not change any hardware. The remove hardware utility also popped up in the quick launch, and it showed that I had a USB stick plugged in. I did plug in a USB stick earlier, but I removed it before shutting down my computer.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Bezy, 16 December 2012 - 06:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

<<I asked some members of my family to check this, and they said that the battery is fine so the problem must be a virus.>>

Now that this theory has been discounted...please replace your CMOS battery, then go into the BIOS and reset the date/time data to an accurate reflection.

Date/time changes...hardware configuration errors...those are common symptoms indicating that the CMOS battery needs replacing.

If this is a desktop, it's rather easy.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users