Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 1545 will not start up

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ad030579

ad030579

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

I was using my laptop fine today until my Powerpoint session froze. It would not allow be to do a Ctrl+Alt+Del to end the task so I pressed the on/off button down for 5 seconds to reset. However, since doing that, the laptop will no longer start up. When I press the on/off button, I can hear the fan go on, and the "on" symbol is illuminated. The Dell logo appears with the word "Inspiron" below and a progress bar. In the bottom right hand corner it says "F2 Setup and F12 Boot Options". If I press neither of these, the screen goes blank after about a second and the fan shuts down. Please could someone help. If I press "F12 Boot Options" I get the options "Internal HDD", "CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive", "Onboard NIC", "BIOS Setup" and "Diagnostics. I don't want to progress any further as I don't want to make it worse. Please could someone help!

Thanks

Adam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

What is the operating system so I can move this topic to the appropriate forum?

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

Generic help here, We still need the operating system.

In the meantime. Please choose the F12 option, do the system diagnostics, especially the Hard Disk Drive and memory tests. You could also run the motherboard test.

Please report back with the tests.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

Hi, Just in case you decide to use other drive diagnostics do not choose the repair option as it could cause data loss. Before doing anything I would suggest backing up any important data. If you need help with that someone here can help with backing up important data even if your laptop is not booting.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 ad030579

ad030579
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Hi Roger

Thanks for your reply. The operating system is Windows Vista. I pressed F12 at the beginning and selected "Diagnostics". This ran some tests but came back with:-
Error code 0146
Hard Drive 0 – self test log contains previous error(s)

I pressed Yes to continue, it made some beeping sounds, ran a Memory Test activity but the it appears to go inactive. The error message says it will take approximately 30 minutes but it's been running for 1hr30mins and does not appear to be progressing.

There's barely any data on it so I'm concerned less about lost data and more about getting the laptop to boot properly again, if possible.

Kind Regards

Adam

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

OK, if there are no concerns about the data we can try a different test for the hard drive. Download Seatools, Run the Short test and the Long test, make no repairs yet, Post the results.
Download the Seatools for DOS here, Follow the instruction to Create the CD and run it.
There are links for a floppy version and a CD version. I'm pretty sure you do not have a floppy drive so use the CD version from here. A little below that is a link to Creating a CD using the bootable CD image .ISO file. right here.

Based on what you say

Error code 0146
Hard Drive 0 – self test log contains previous error(s)

I'm suspicious of the hard drive.

Good Luck
Roger

Edit: Moving to the Vista OS forum
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 27 December 2012 - 01:20 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#7 ad030579

ad030579
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Hi Roger

Thanks for this. I have successfully burnt the Seatools disc image to disc and put this in the laptop when is starts to boot but there is not difference. I can hear the sound of the disc being read and initially the progress bar underneath "Inspiron" and the Dell logo took a little longer that usual to complete but essentially it still goes through to a blank screen. Any ideas?

Kind Regards

Adam

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

Hi,

Did you create the Disk following the directions from the Seatools for DOS page?
You will get what you describe if you just copy the .iso file to a disk.
As an alternative you can burn the .iso file according to this by cryptodan

Please follow this guide on How to burn a CD/DVD With ISO Recorder. ISO Recorder is a free program that offers users a simple to use interface and GUI to perform a CD/DVD Burn. This application, can be installed on Windows XP and later, as well as the 64bit variants. It will allow you to burn an image aka .ISO file to any type of CD or DVD.

This application, also does not include any extra or bundled software such as free search toolbars, free trials of norton, or other programs.

Did you press F12 to get to the boot device selection menu and select the dvd drive?

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 ad030579

ad030579
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

Hi Roger

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did indeed follow the instructions carefully to burn the disc image but I didn't select F12 and the DVD drive option. I've just done that now and some wording had appeared but it has stopped and the follwing:-

Invalid Opcode at 000B 0000 0402 086F 0250 0782 0702 0702 0A83 0CEE 2132 0000 0000 0000

Kind Regards

Adam

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Lets see if you have more than one problem.
This Memroy test tutorial was Created by keyboardNinja

***** A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-....iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-....iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Lets make sure there are no memory problems since the Dell memory test never finished.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

If the memory test passes then lets test the hard drive.

When you hit F2 and go into the BIOS setup can you see what brand of hard drive you have?

And lets see if we can test the Hard drive a different way.
This one courtesy of Broni
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

If this doesn't work we'll have to look at the drive another way.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 30 December 2012 - 10:18 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#12 ad030579

ad030579
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Hi Roger

Apologies with the delay in getting back to you about this. I ran the memory test for several hours and no error messages appeared which suggests to me that it passed the test. With regards to testing the hard drive, I got a bit stuck with your instructions. Would you be able to clarify for me, please? I clicked on the http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 link but I don't really know where to start! Please help.

Thanks

Adam

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

You need to start with the brand of our hard drive, What make is it?

I have to say, again, everything points to a bad drive or some type of bad hardware. from where you said "Hard Drive 0 – self test log contains previous error(s)"

What is the model of the Computer. What I'd like to try is removing the hard drive and see if the Seatools disk Boots up OK that way.
With the Model I could point you to the proper service manual and page therein. Some model the hard drive is easy to pull others it can be a chore.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 17 January 2013 - 02:45 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#14 ad030579

ad030579
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

Hi Roger, the laptop make is a Dell Inspiron 1545. Are you able to tell the type of hard drive from this?

Thanks

Adam

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Not really since Dell uses whoever is cheaper / Available.

The Dell Service manual for you laptop for reference purposes.

How to remove the hard drive Link is here.

Yours is an easy one to remove, Being careful not to static the drive or drop it or cause any Impact, remove it and read the label side.

I suggest working with the laptop laying on a couple of layers of bath towel to protect the surface and to have a soft surface to put the drive on.

It will probably be Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba, Hitachi, or Fujitsu.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users