Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Easiest way to transfer program files from Win XP 32-bit to Win 7 Pro 64-bit?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Good afternoon everyone,

A friend of mine is getting me a refurbished Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop computer running Win 7 Pro, 64-bit. I presently have a Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop running Win XP Pro, 32-bit.

Among the various Program Files on this XP are some games, a password manager program, WINRAR, PopPeeper, itunes, etc, etc.

My questions:

1. Is it possible to transfer/copy these Program Folders/Files from the XP machine to the Win 7 computer, or does the bit size difference preclude this?

2. If possible, what is the simplest way to accomplish this?

(I'm certainly no technical genius).

Many thanks for your time and any suggestions! :busy:

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

<<Is it possible to transfer/copy these Program Folders/Files from the XP machine to the Win 7 computer, or does the bit size difference preclude this?>>

Programs must be either installed or cloned to a different hard drive...it is not possible to "copy" a program in any other fashion, due to the way Windows works. For a program to work properly, you need related registry items, it's not as simple as copying a file/folder.

Cloning will only work when the hard drive is to be used on the same system with the same hardware. In such cases, the entire partition/drive is an exact copy made to a different partition/drive.

Louis

#3 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

I appreciate the information, Louis!

I sort of suspected this might be the case, but I figured it better to at least "ask"...just to be sure.

Best wishes for a nice holiday season! :thumbsup:

Edited by spc3rd, 16 December 2012 - 02:57 PM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users