Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Netgear router installation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 neuromancer

neuromancer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

After installation of various netgear routers people are getting these annoying popups stating that "the server weather.service.msn.com is asking for username and password"

Has anyone figured out why this is happening? I've read that some have solved the problem by removing all of their sidebar gadgets.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

From my brief research it appears that the router is blocking the encryption or authentication to the MSN update service so the service asks for authentication (username and password). I have not found out Why exactly, the solution is enter the username:admin and the password:password or disable/uninstall the weather desktop gadget. There have been other variations on the password no definitive on which one to use.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 22 December 2012 - 02:41 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users