Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help on how to install a old gaming graphic card to a new store brought computer.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fantasy09

fantasy09

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

What I want to do is install my nvida geforce graphics card, from my old gaming computer, to my new(albeit store brought)one. The problem is I have no idea how to go about doing this. Help:)

I'm going through this so I can play the Sims 2 better. While the new comp has been playing the overall game okay(base to seasons) there have been some annoying, from time to time, graphical issues(artifacts) because of the integrated graphics card.

System specs for new comp:

Lenovo H420-
CPU- Intel Core I5 2320 3.0 GHZ(4CPU's)
HDD 2T
Ram-8G
OS-Windows 7 Home Premium
Direct X 11
Intel HD graphics-DAC type internal. Total memory-1760mb
PCI express and then there was a PCI expressx16

With this part I honestly have no idea what it means or what exactly I was looking at really,but if It looked important I posted it.

Power supply(or what I thought was the supply)-Total max power 280 W
There where two smallish fans in there one said Foxcom DC brush-less fan DC12V O.40A, and the other Aisa Vital Components (AVC)

For the old(gaming comp) a lot of this is from a rusty memory and looking in at the motherboard since an error message at boot up won't let me log on to check the specs:

Comp-Actec

Graphics Card- Nvida gefore(can't quite remember the number but I think it was 6800 or so). I looks kinda huge on the motherboard. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NVIDIA_GeForce_6800_Personal_Cinema.jpg

Ram for the graphics card- 512
System memory- 1GB

CPU2.5 GHZ

Power supply- Thermaltake TR2-430 W

Two fans. One small. One kinda on the big side.

PCI express X 16

I want to wear gloves to cut down on potential static electricity. Which pair would be good to go with?

Never opened rubber cleaning gloves or latex nursing gloves? Or would either one be fine?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vileynye

Vileynye

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

There are a couple of minor problems that first need to be addressed. First I need to know exactly what video card you’re trying to install. The reason being that many Nvidia cards are doublewide to allow room for the GPU heatsink. The Lenovo H420 only has 1 PCIe x16 slot so you simply may not have room. Second, you are going to have to swap your 280W PSU with your old 430W PSU. That is just an absolute requirement because the Lenovo H420 was not really designed for such an upgrade. In addition, you are going to want to salvage out every possible fan from the old case and fit as many as you can into the new case. We are talking quite a bit of work. If you are willing to do the work, I am willing to walk you through it. It would be helpful if you had some type of camera, be it cell phone, to take pictures to help me help you. Finally, latex gloves would help cut down on the amount of oil transferred from your hand to your electronic devices however, ESD (Electrostatic discharge) can still occur. As your hands sweat inside of the latex gloves, they deteriorate and thin the material. Many people are unaware that sweaty hands inside of latex gloves can also leave behind fingerprints. Rubber dish gloves would be the preference but they are bulky and make it difficult to make the connections happen. If you are actually concerned with ESD the only real recommendation I have is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_wrist_strap

Get back to me.

#3 fantasy09

fantasy09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:32 AM

Hi, Vileynye, I'm going to see if I can get help fixing what what's wrong with the old computer first( since its technically a more powerful comp gaming wise then the Lenovo is). If fixing the old comp is truly a lose cause then I'll get to trying to upgrade the Lenovo with its parts. Thanks :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users