Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really bad hard drive trouble

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Stickman47

Stickman47

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

So I bought a new computer, 1.8 Terabyte Hard Drive so yesterday I got it all installed and ready to use, now today, my memory is full. So apparently, my 1.8 TB hard drive "New Volume (D:)" isn't being used AT ALL. Reason? It's D: not C:. So storage was randomly made to hold all windows files and program files including what I downloaded since I first connected my computer. That "fake" storage only holds 105 GB memory and it's full but I don't have any clue how I can get my existing files and Windows files safely to my D: hard drive without just permanently breaking my new computer. Should I take it to get repaired? Should I try and reset the computer from the beginning? Anything would help at this point, many programs have broken and had to be reinstalled very dangerously because of the advice I was given and attempted to use. I really don't want to break my computer with bad repair attempts, so I came here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

I am sorry, but not 100% following you. You have a C drive and a 1.8 TB D: drive. The C: drive is now all full from the Windows install files and the installation itself and the D drive is not being used at all?

Is that essentially what happened? How big is the C: drive?

By default when you install Windows, it will by default install to the C: drive. There is no way to move everything to the D: drive once its installed without serious causing a lot of issues with the installation.

What you can do is change the location of your various special folders like documents, downloads, videos, etc and put those on the D: drive. Then you can transfer all the existing data to the new folders to free up space on the C: drive.

Let me know if this process will help and I can assist you further.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users