Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error message on computer and I can't input commands to correct it?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fantasy09

fantasy09

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

I was told elsewhere that this problem was due to incorrect shutdown and the way to fix it was with a old PS/2 keyboard instead of a USB one. Problem is all I have is USB and I'm trying not to go the route of buying a PS/2 keyboard I'm only going to use once. So is there any other way to fix this, and if not are there any adapters out there that will change a USB to PS/2. The only ones I've seen on amazon are just from changing a PS/2 to USB not the other way around.

Windows XP Desktop

Error message:

The last attempt to restart the system from its previous location failed. Attempt to restart again?

-Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu.

-Continue with system restart.

Problem is it won't let me do either. It will not recognize a keyboard or mouse to allow me to input commands. I've tried two mouses and two keyboards one of which was brand-new and still nothing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

It would help if your post the make and model of this computer.

What may have happened is that when the computer did a incorrect shutdown files which were running at the time may have been damaged. If this is the case you can run sfc /scannow, but before I can provide you with instructions for this I will need to know the operating system you are using.

Who gave you the advice to use a PS/2 keyboard and why?

Just for the record... you can purchase a USB to PS/2 adapter here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 fantasy09

fantasy09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

I have no idea what the model number is, but I can give you some info. Don't know if it will help much though.

The comp is a gaming computer that I brought online years ago from the now defunct Monarch Computers.
All this is from a rusty memory.
Comp-Actec
Windows XP Home service pack 2
Graphics Card- Nvida gefore(can't quite remember the number but I think it was 6800 or so).
Ram for the graphics card 512
System memory 1GB
CPU2.5 GHZ
Power supply- Thermaltake TR2-430 W
PCI express X 16

Someone on Yahoo answers gave me that advice,and apparently because only a PS/2 keyboard can correct an incorrect shutdown since my usb one won't work anymore for some strange reason.

Thanks, I just ordered that exact one from Walmart.com.:)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 fantasy09

fantasy09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

I can't give a snap-shot of the computer specs because I can't even get it off the error screen at bootup.( Note:The computer I am typing on and using the net with is a completely different computer then the one I need help with.)

I purchased this. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cables-To-Go-USB-To-PS-2-Adapter/15172649

It works with both the mouses I tried it with but neither of the keyboards. Also even though it works with the mouses( it lights them up) neither will let me input anything on the error message even though they are technically on using the adapter,and like I've stated the adapter doesn't work at all with the keyboards. I just don't know what else to do.:( This error message is the only thing keeping me from using that computer, and I brought something that I thought would help and still nothing.

Should I try this one next? Or is it just a lose cause with the adapters.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=15075023&findingMethod=rr

Edited by fantasy09, 21 December 2012 - 01:25 AM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

Hi,
Get a real PS2 keyboard and it will be compatible. I have seen new ones as low as $10.99 in a local computer store and they had a better model used ones for $10.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users