Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 seb79

seb79

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

Hi...I'm completely new here and relatively new to the world of technology in general so please go easy on the tech terminology. I didn't know where exactly to post this...so I'm sorry if it's in the wrong forum.

So this is what happened. I had an error before I opened my Sony Vaio VPCEB4E4E laptop which didn't let me start up my laptop. It was a SMART hard drive error and it forced me to buy another hard drive which I then put into my laptop, replacing the old one. After I'd done that, in a bid to save money, I put in a DELL licensed Windows Vista Home Premium operating system disc which I had lying around my house. I managed to install that operating system successfully, however I soon discovered that when I logged onto my laptop, I didn't have Microsoft Office and I was missing a wireless adapter LAN driver (really need access to the internet). I've tried to put the driver and office onto my flashdrive and installing it onto my Vaio from there...but it doesn't seem to work.

My question is, given that I don't have the Sony Vaio licensed disc for the old operating system, how can I restore it back to the Vaio operating system? And do I actually need to restore it back or would that create more problems? I'd appreciate advice on these points as well as in general with regards to my situation. If you want to ask me any questions to clarify my situation further, please ask. And bear in mind that I'm not a tech expert, so please dumb down the answers for me.

Many thanks! I really, really hope this manages to get sorted asap. I've had no functioning laptop for three weeks now. I need it for university.

Edited by seb79, 16 December 2012 - 12:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

My question is, given that I don't have the Sony Vaio licensed disc for the old operating system, how can I restore it back to the Vaio operating system?

While your Sony Vaio VPCEB4E4E laptop, didn't come with Recovery Media (DVDs), it did include software for you to make your own recovery DVDs. Most newer computers provide this option.

Recovery (page 128 of your user manual)
How can I create recovery discs?
You can create recovery discs using the VAIO Recovery Center. The discs are used to restore your computer system to its
factory default settings. To create the discs, click Start, All Programs, VAIO Recovery Center, and Create Recovery
Discs.

The second option to recover the computer is a hidden partition on the original hard drive. Of course you don't have this option anymore.

You should be able to order replacement media (DVDs) directly from Sony. http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=C61643&sliceId=2&mdl

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users