Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my mom's computer is a mess, plz help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Innocent Llama

Innocent Llama

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Hi BP, I need some help fixing my mom's computer. She works from home on it, but her system is best known for having connection issues. I'm pretty savvy at fixing this stuff, but I'm nearly at my wit's end.

About 2 months ago I scanned her system with Malwarebytes while in Safe Mode, it found some things related to something called PUP.MyWebSearch. I quarantined them but recently my mom has been experiencing connection issues again. Today I scanned it once again in safe mode, and it had found yet another PUP.MyWebSearch.

After restarting I decided to download some Microsoft updates, where I then had problems opening Firefox and Internet Explorer. I restarted again and in doing so the downloaded updates had applied some 20,000 registry fixes. Not sure what that was all about.

Anyways I was finally able to open Firefox afterwards, but had noticed some links in her history that don't belong there.. links like 'features.html', among others.

Can somebody help? I'll respond as soon as I can get the chance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

Hello,I moved this from WIN7 to the Am I Infected forum.
Lets do this next.

Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking.

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.Link 1
Link 2
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
Do not reboot the computer, you will need to run the application again.

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

>>>>>
Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

>>>>
Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Delete.
  • Confirm each time with Ok.
  • You will be prompted to restart your computer. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

Finally run MiniToolBox
Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run. Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Innocent Llama

Innocent Llama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

I decided to reinstall Windows with Recovery discs, I figured this would be much easier.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

No problem,that will fix everything.

Thanks for letting us know.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users