FIRST PROBLEM ENCOUNTERED: Software uninstallers failed. Unable to remove programs.
OTHER PROBLEMS: CD-ROM drive doesn't always work.
OTHER OBSERVATIONS: Network wizard is remembering an old network name. Folders are set to remember settings but they don't. Not all features of programs are working. Defrag reported some files could not be defragged but report did not list file names. KB977914 failed
WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR:
Ran disk clean up and defrag.
Ran "Check System Compatibility" feature from XP OP disk (all OK)
Uninstalled SP3 - Note: Original OP disk includes SP2
Ran sfc /scannow and chkdsk
sfc /scannow -- "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache."
chkdsk -- recovered lost files, corrected errors in the volume bitmap, found problems with the file system (Ran chkdsk /f)
At this point I reran sfc /scannow and it produced the same results as noted above (DLL missing). Inserted OP disk and received:
"The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because set-up was unable to load the file D:/i386/WINNTUPG/NETUPGRD.DLL. Error performing in page operation."
1) If i386, in essence, is just a copy of the original OP disk can I just copy the files from disk to PC? But is this the right route to go being that the following was observed:
The i386 file on disk says there are 6443 files, created Aug 1, 2007. i386 on PC says it has 7939 files, created Aug 10, 2004. Why the discrepancy in file size and dates if i386 is supposed to be a copy of the original disk?
2) Is there a way to determine exactly WHAT DLL is missing and replace only that one? When sfc /scannow prompts disk insertion, I'm leery of the next step. Will selecting "Install Windows XP" only search to replace the missing files or does it just rewrite the ENTIRE program? I'm HOPING to NOT do a complete restore or a system back-up.
3) Should I reinstall SP3 before continuing?
4) I have CCCleaner -- should I go ahead and use it to remove unwanted programs? Fixing corrupted uninstaller files would be nice if possible.
5) I have encountered several power outages over the years and the system is plugged into a surge protector, yet I wonder if the missing DLL and/or corrupt files could be caused from the installation of SP3 (2008) or a BIOS update (2012 from Windows Update, v1.0.11 to 1.0.16). What part of the BIOS got updated? I can't find matching version numbers anywhere...LOL.
Dell Vostro 200
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition v2002
Service Pack 2 (NOTE: was SP3 up until 2 days ago)
Avast running. Other installed programs: Spybot, Malwarebytes, CCCleaner, Mini toolbox, FSS
To recap -- Missing DLL needs to be determined, found, replaced and/or repaired
Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Edited by hamluis, 24 December 2012 - 07:50 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.