Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing DLL & corrupt files

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 nowizard

nowizard

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

WHAT I WAS DOING: Preparing to install a new printer by first uninstalling the old printer and all associated software. (and other unused programs).

FIRST PROBLEM ENCOUNTERED: Software uninstallers failed. Unable to remove programs.
OTHER PROBLEMS: CD-ROM drive doesn't always work.
OTHER OBSERVATIONS: Network wizard is remembering an old network name. Folders are set to remember settings but they don't. Not all features of programs are working. Defrag reported some files could not be defragged but report did not list file names. KB977914 failed

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR:
Ran disk clean up and defrag.
Ran "Check System Compatibility" feature from XP OP disk (all OK)
Uninstalled SP3 - Note: Original OP disk includes SP2
Ran sfc /scannow and chkdsk

RESULTS:
sfc /scannow -- "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache."
chkdsk -- recovered lost files, corrected errors in the volume bitmap, found problems with the file system (Ran chkdsk /f)

At this point I reran sfc /scannow and it produced the same results as noted above (DLL missing). Inserted OP disk and received:
"The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because set-up was unable to load the file D:/i386/WINNTUPG/NETUPGRD.DLL. Error performing in page operation."

QUESTIONS:
1) If i386, in essence, is just a copy of the original OP disk can I just copy the files from disk to PC? But is this the right route to go being that the following was observed:
The i386 file on disk says there are 6443 files, created Aug 1, 2007. i386 on PC says it has 7939 files, created Aug 10, 2004. Why the discrepancy in file size and dates if i386 is supposed to be a copy of the original disk?

2) Is there a way to determine exactly WHAT DLL is missing and replace only that one? When sfc /scannow prompts disk insertion, I'm leery of the next step. Will selecting "Install Windows XP" only search to replace the missing files or does it just rewrite the ENTIRE program? I'm HOPING to NOT do a complete restore or a system back-up.

3) Should I reinstall SP3 before continuing?

4) I have CCCleaner -- should I go ahead and use it to remove unwanted programs? Fixing corrupted uninstaller files would be nice if possible.

5) I have encountered several power outages over the years and the system is plugged into a surge protector, yet I wonder if the missing DLL and/or corrupt files could be caused from the installation of SP3 (2008) or a BIOS update (2012 from Windows Update, v1.0.11 to 1.0.16). What part of the BIOS got updated? I can't find matching version numbers anywhere...LOL.

MY SYSTEM:
Dell Vostro 200
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition v2002
Service Pack 2 (NOTE: was SP3 up until 2 days ago)

Avast running. Other installed programs: Spybot, Malwarebytes, CCCleaner, Mini toolbox, FSS

To recap -- Missing DLL needs to be determined, found, replaced and/or repaired

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 24 December 2012 - 07:50 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nowizard

nowizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

Since above post I have...

1) attempted to reinstall SP3 ---> it FAILS when it reaches the need to copy Beethovens symphony No. 9.wma. My administrative rights have been altered as I am now unable to access the ALL USERS folder. Did the uninstalling of SP3 affect the original SP2 files, therefore creating the sfc /scannow and chkdsk results?

2) Ran malwarebytes and it found multiple PUPS for MyWebSearch and 1 trojan (Vundo). Per report all were fixed successfully. All Users folder is still inaccessible. I'M THINKING MY REGISTRY NEEDS A GOOD LOOKING AT. Who can do this?

3) The above DLL (wlanapi.dll) is needed by one known program (cell phone to pc connection)

How important is WINNTUPG/NETUPGRD.DLL? Do I need to copy all of the i386 folder from CD (WINXP, SP2) and replace the one on PC?

I'm no expert for sure, but I'm really believing the many nuisance problems are all related to registry entries being incorrect and further believing there is a simpler fix than reinstalling the OP system. The system is working quite well other than a few buggy issues.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

Just a few quick questions ---

Did you use the SAME Dell Install CD as was used for the 2007 ?? install, or just a random M/soft XP CD ??

Do you even have a Genuine Dell CD ??

chkdsk /r is the option to use to repair -

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:33 AM

Hello,

This will find which dll's are missing:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/

I used it & a dll was missing.

See screen shot:

http://i49.tinypic.com/16lbghg.png

If Hijackthis doesn't direct you to DLLME here is the url:

http://www.dllme.com/

You can search for it there.

I hope this helps. :)

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Hello,

This will find which dll's are missing:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/

I used it & a dll was missing.

See screen shot:

http://i49.tinypic.com/16lbghg.png

If Hijackthis doesn't direct you to DLLME here is the url:

http://www.dllme.com/

You can search for it there.

I hope this helps. :)

Hijack This is a tool for dealing with malware problems and it is not the tool of choice used here at BC by MRT personnel. Since this is the XP forum, the personnel here are not trained in the use of malware tools and are urged not to suggest a given malware tool for situations that where more quelified personnel can attempt diagnosis of malware situations.

The malware personnel prefer other logs as initial submissions on malware problems.

All malware logs should be posted in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, following the instructions at Preparations for Forum Software Upgrade - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic478024.html .

Louis

#6 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

Hijack This is a tool for dealing with malware problems and it is not the tool of choice used here at BC by MRT personnel. Since this is the XP forum, the personnel here are not trained in the use of malware tools and are urged not to suggest a given malware tool for situations that where more quelified personnel can attempt diagnosis of malware situations.

The malware personnel prefer other logs as initial submissions on malware problems.

All malware logs should be posted in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, following the instructions at Preparations for Forum Software Upgrade - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic478024.html .

Louis

I hope my post was not inappropriate.

I just suggested something he could do by himself.

If he wants to he can contact me for help with my suggestion.

It's an easy thing for me since I already did it on my computer.

Perhaps not so easy for someone else though.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#7 nowizard

nowizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

@noknojon -- Yes, I have the original OP system disc that Dell provided with my PC. (XP SP2)

@medab1 -- I'll forgo your suggestions as there are many warnings against downloading DLLs.

If I'm understanding these replies correctly, my best bet is to visit the guys/gals at Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, correct?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,438 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

If you think that your system is infected...rather than use malware tools on your own, without proper guidance...you should initiate a post in the malware forum, following the procedures prevalent there.

If you think that your problem is not malware...then you should continue to pursue this topic, which is in the XP O/S forum.

I believe in "the proper tool, at the proper time" which translates to malware issues being addressed in malware forums. HJT is is not an O/S troubleshooting tool, it is a tool used to assist in overcoming malware issues.

Based on the premise that you do NOT have malware issues, I suggest the following.

Please download MiniToolBox , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Louis

#9 nowizard

nowizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

Where to start ... what question and/or problem to start with is not always easy to determine. I started here because of the results I received after running sfc /scannow and chkdsk /f.

chkdsk /f -- it recovered lost files, corrected errors in the volume bitmap and found problems with the file system.

sfc /scannow -- returned the following "files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache" and "the option to upgrade will not be available at this time because set-up was unable to load the file D:/i386/WINNTUPG/NETUPGRD.DLL. Error performing in page operation."

Also, keep in mind I was trying to uninstall programs associated with an old printer and the uninstallers failed. That in itself is not always grounds to believe malware is associated, correct? It can be due to power failures as well.

It was not until after the initial post that I ran Malwarebytes and discovered the trojan, thus leading me to question that maybe I needed to start in the other forum.

With all due respect, I am providing the information as requested here in this forum. If you are able to confirm without a shadow of doubt that I need to be in the other forum, by all means please advise. Again, where to start is not always the easiest to determine.

MINI TOOLBOX LOG
Spoiler

SPECCY
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/mOxYGPwhEBqPBLhX1FpubHm

Edited by nowizard, 23 December 2012 - 09:47 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,438 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:45 AM

Since you found malware...it won't hurt to move this to the Am I Infected forum, where the more knowledgeable can take a look.

I'll do that ;).

Once the possibility of malware is confirmed/refuted, then someone will advise you and, if the system is clean, this topic may be moved back here or a new topic initiated by you re whatever issues are prevalent at that time.

Louis

#11 nowizard

nowizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

thank you hamluis

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,538 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

Sorry for the delay.
After reviewing this. You have several situationsfrom files to malware. The best thing to to is repost your first two posts along with a DDS log from the guide below. This will give us a deeper look and provide you with a malware expert that will work all these issues and install the proper files.

Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.

Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 nowizard

nowizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

DISREGARD -- just reached the answer in the preparation guide. It pays to NOT jump ahead. Sorry.

Confirmation Please: What forum should I start the new post in?

1) Am I infected? What do I do?

OR

2) Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

I assume the latter, but just want to make sure. Thanks

Edited by nowizard, 29 December 2012 - 02:13 PM.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,538 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

Goodjob! We try to keep the instructions as short as possible.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic480036.html/page__p__2933403#entry2933403

Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRL Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

The current wait time is 1 - 2 days and ALL logs are answered.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users