Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8 and Outlook Express problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

Hi guys.

I've searched on here and found one thread that doesn't cure my problem. black toolbar in IE8

Sometimes when I startup IE8 the toolbar is black. I've Googled for this problem but nothing cures it. They say open Control Panel - Accessibility Options and go to the Display Tab there will be a Small Check box with says Use High Contrast. The screen will go black then untick the Check box and it will go back to normal. You have to change the Appearance colours back afterwards. This cures the IE8 toolbar for a few days then it comes back again.

Any permanent solutions available apart from FireFox? I have IE8 on my Vista laptop and runs ok everytime, apart from it crashed regularly.

The other problem is I fitted a new 2TB hard drive 3 months ago, everything install ok and worked. Now I've used Outlook Express for many years as my main email apps and its always worked properly. Sometimes I add these animated smilies just as a bit of fun. You click in Insert - Picture browse for the gif and it adds it to the email. When I tried it a few days ago when you click on Insert - Picture it just shows a white window with nothing in it (see attachment).

I know Outlook Express is install with IE so I tried to reinstall IE8. It get part way through then I get a BSOD saying.

BAD_POOL_CALLER
STOP: 0x000000c2 (0x00000050,0xE1CD2000,0x00000CD2,0x0A000000)

Doing a physical memory dump. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944904

I restart and IE doesn't work so I have to do a system restore to get it back. When it starts back up it wants to send an error report to M$ I click OK but it can't find the mini dump file. I've run a memtest86 all night but no errors show up, 4GB RAM.

Any ideas how to fix the Outlook Express white screen?

Attached Files

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

The only thing I can think of to try is reset Internet Explorer.

Control Panel/Internet Options/Advanced tab/Reset Internet Explorer settings.

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I've just tried to open Control Panel/Internet Options but it won't open. I've started IE and selected Tools/Internet Options and that won't open. I've justed double-clicked inetcpl.cpl in System32 and it still won't open.

When I started IE the toolbar was black again.

Keith

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

Sounds to me like...

You are either infected or IE is corrupt/damaged. Since OE is part of IE, your problems there are part of the same problem with IE, IMO. I will focus on corruption possibility.

The fact that using another browser poses no problems...points squarely at IE.

I'd probably try to roll back to IE 7, if possible...then reinstall SP3. Then go to Windows Update and and download the IE8 update.

Louis

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

To add to Louis's answer.

How to uninstall IE8 or IE7.

Just uninstall IE8 / IE7 by going to start -> run:

%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe

%windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe

Do the IE8 and then test, Uninstalling IE8 will leave you with IE7.
If that doesn't work go back on more step to IE6.

Do not forget to download the IE7 and IE8 installs first.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=43

This download is for Microsoft Windows XP only

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2

Download Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP at the Official Microsoft Download Center

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 17 December 2012 - 11:20 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've thought about rolling back to IE7 but if IE8 doesn't install like the other two times I've tried it and get the BSOD then I would have to do a system restore back to IE8 again.

I've just download the direct links from M$, cheers. I generally use Internet Explorer 8.0 XP which has always worked before. I have Internet Explorer 7 burnt to a CD which I generally use after a rebuild. I always have Avast running and I do have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed but I haven't done a full scan for a while because it takes a few hours.

I will do a full Malwarebytes and roll back to IE7 and see what that shows.

Cheers. :wink:

Oh I forget to mention I did a sfc /scannow and chkdsk and nothing showed up.

Edited by Keithuk, 17 December 2012 - 08:32 PM.

Keith

#7 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

I did a full Avast virus scan and it took all night. no virus. I did a Malwarebytes scan and it only found.

Files Detected: 2
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{569375A7-597D-4C98-893F-99ED3979940C}\RP103\A0021467.exe (PUP.Hacktool.Patcher).
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{569375A7-597D-4C98-893F-99ED3979940C}\RP59\A0007904.exe (Trojan.Agent).

Then I removed them and did a restart.

I tried uninstalling IE8 and put back IE7 and as I thought it did the BSOD memory dump and restarted as I thought it would so nothing was fixed twice. The IE toolbar was back to black again which I restored again. I tried to install IE8 from the M$ link and again the BSOD memory dump si I had to do a systen restore to get it back.

I think I'm going to have to do a format and rebuild after Chistmas and start again.

Thanks for your input but it didn't work as I thought it wouldn't.

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users