Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Computer Fixin Dog

Computer Fixin Dog

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

I've been working on computers for a good ten years or more, but have been working at the local computer shop for the last three months or so.
I've still got a lot to learn, but I'm always contributing as I can. I'm basically here to learn as much as I can about malware and other issues, but mostly malware.
Most of what we encounter, we counquer. The last rootkit I found, though, I couldn't remove it no matter what I did. That's why I want to learn. I got their data clean enough to save, but had to wipe the drive and start them off with a fresh OS install.

I want to be the best I can be, not just with Windows, but with Mac and Linux as well. I'm committed to learning all I can.
I'm sure you'll see a decent amount of presence from me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

:welcome: You have picked a challenging field. One that can be rewarding when you do manage to recover the customer's data off of a failing drive. Do not forget to convince all customers to backup.

You will be doing your customers a service suggesting a backup solution. Also by suggesting that business usage and personal use should be on separate computers.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Computer Fixin Dog

Computer Fixin Dog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:33 AM

I always do my best to convince them to backup. I had a customer bring me three hard disks that he couldn't access the data on. I managed to recover every last bit of it. When he came in to pick everything up, my coworker was the one who headed up to the counter. He left with two external hard drives, the ones he came in with, and his data intact. He's a lucky man.

I want to be the filler of knowledge gaps at our shop. I want to be that guy that gets called on to ask questions nobody else can answer.
I also want to be the malware fighting wizard. I'm going to enjoy my time here, I'm sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users