Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN + sending mail

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ray5450

ray5450

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

I am using a VPN, but when I send mail with my mail program, the IP that the VPN uses is blocked by my mail server. Is there a way to have my mail program access the internet direct, but my browser still use a VPN? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 T Simon

T Simon

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

Yeah, some VPN providers block ports that accesses SMTP to prevent spammers from abusing the service. The only way to use email and VPN at the same time is use split tunnelling. Some VPN client software offers a network level split tunnel setting that enable SMTP access outside of the VPN while you're surfing anonymously. To check that you are still anonymous and the VPN is still protecting your identity while sending email, you should first check anonymity with proxy test. Some VPN proxies only provide partial anonymity. A high anonymity proxy changes your IP address without revealing to the website you are using a proxy, while others will change IP address, but they also inform the website you using a proxy (partial anonymity).

#3 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Thanks, for the information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users