Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If someone was teaching you about Windows 8......

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

Tomorrow my job has asked me to teach 2 separate classes about how to use Windows 8.

I am Windows 8 Certified but my question to anyone who reads this is:

If someone was teaching you Windows 8 Basics what would you want to know more about?

If you knew nothing about Windows 8, what would you expect someone who is teaching you to show you to help your understanding of Windows 8?

What you know now of Windows 8 back when Windows 8 first came out, how would you teach someone else about Windows 8?

Please keep the response positive!!!!

Edited: To add "Please keep the response positive!!!!"

Edited by herg62123, 14 December 2012 - 10:07 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

Hello Herg;

Hehe, nice edit there:) Don't have a windows 8 machine but had a friend bring one over after she had bought it. a few things we had to figure out.

How to get from the app screen to the desktop and back
Shut down
How do I remove programs
Can i resize the app windows
Where do I find "My Documents"

Things I can think of off hand. Hope it helps.

Jelerak

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

G'day Herg, I would imagine that a rather practical approach would be better,,,seeing that some of you class are going to be a little apprehensive of "change"
So....perhaps after covering the basic changes which have been implemented in Windows 8......a hands on run through of accessing a popular web site....eg Bleeping Computer or ebay..
.......would be beneficial. Also the usual mundane tasks of accesing word/notepad.....my documents
, my computer...and all the "normal" tasks that are a part of everyday life on a PC
As you said.....keep it positive !...So......do just that !

Brian

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

Hi,

It all depends on the audience you have if they know Windows 7 and work every day with it you can ask for the type of tasks they normally do and then focus on the changes they need to know to be able to execute the same on Windows 8.

If they don't know windows at all you need to start from the beginning and for the basics, interface elements, etc.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

How to add a new account
How to install, add, and update apps.
How to change your password
How to use the search feature of the start screen
how to switch between apps

#6 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

Herg, how did you make out. I've been waiting for your post to see how it went. :)

#7 herg62123

herg62123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

Sorry to keep you waiting.

I took everyones advise that posted and showed the main points of using windows 8.

I showed how to turn on and off the pc; find the charm icons; how to search by just typing without opening the search charm; add a windows 8 and local accounts; switch between apps; show what programs are running; how to navigate from desktop to find old school control panel; and many more things.....

Because of it 85% of the 2 classes together is more at ease now then before the class.

Thanks everyone who posted ideas for me to teach.

With all the great help from BC, I am proud to be included in such a great website as BC.

Again thanks for all the ideas

Robert
Posted Image

#8 herg62123

herg62123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

Oh I almost forgot.

I borrowed a friends XBOX and showed how to link the XBOX to a tablet, laptop, and desktop running windows 8. Heck I impressed myself. That was fun. NOTE TO SELF: NEED TO BUY A XBOX SYSTEM SOON!!!!!!!!! :hysterical:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users