Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Restarting - Help!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Channel5

Channel5

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

Hi,

I bought a Dell Optiplex off eBay a year ago. When I got it, it worked fine. But it's been sitting around unused for the past year. Now, when I boot it up, it loads up Windows, but then automatically restarts after a minute or two.

I thought maybe it was a virus so I booted it up and let it sit at the login screen. But the same thing happens, so I'm assuming it's a hardware issue.

Any ideas on what the problem is, and how to fix it?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

Please try booting to your BIOS setup and check if the restarting problem occurs. Try running in safemode and disable auto-restart to reproduce the error code and message next time. You could also try removing one stick of RAM and alternately to check on the restarting problem.

Tekken

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

Try running in safemode and disable auto-restart to reproduce the error code and message next time.

If you aren't sure how to do this follow the instructions below.

Click on the Start Orb> Control Panel> click on the arrow to the right of Control Panel to expand the options> System> System Protection> click on the Advanced tab> click on Settings under Startup and Recovery.

Under System Failure remove the check mark by Automatically Restart.

When you restart the computer a blue screen (BSOD) will appear similar to the one below. At the top of the page there will be a ***STOP: and then a code, please include it exactly in your next post.

Posted Image

A word of caution regarding the removal of the RAM. Static electricity can damage electronic components, to avoid this you need to discharge your body of static electricity, this can be done by touching the metal of the case.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Channel5

Channel5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

Thanks jhayz!

I tried your suggestions, and it runs fine in BIOS and Safe Mode, so I'm assuming it's software issue.

Any suggestions? or should I move my topic to the Software forum?

#5 Channel5

Channel5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

OK, here's the STOP error message I'm getting:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8054B10D, 0xA79A3834, 0x000000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

Hello,

It would be helpful to have a look at the actual minidump files as well as the msinfo32 file. Below should work in Safe Mode with Networking.

• Click on Start, Run and type msinfo32 into the run box. Click OK.
  • From the System Information top menu, select File, then Save.
  • Save as msInfo32.nfo to a memorable location (suggestion: Desktop).
  • Next, navigate to the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and copy any ".dmp" files to the Desktop.
  • Go to the Desktop, highlight the msinfo32.nfo file and all of the ".dmp" files, right click, then Send to compressed (zipped) folder.
  • Please upload this zipped folder to a File Sharing website of your choosing because Bleeping Computer has a 512 K only upload limit and this file will be much larger.
  • For a listing of free File Sharing websites see: http://technojourney.com/trending/best-alternatives-megaupload-and-filesonic-file-hosting/
  • Or you may use Box.com.
  • Post a link to the file in your next post.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 Vileynye

Vileynye

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

There’s also whocrashedme, I dunno just a suggestion.

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed_faq

#8 Channel5

Channel5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

@Artrooks

I tried saving those files you suggested. But when in the process of saving them in Safe Mode, it crashes my PC! :(

Any suggestions in a sticky situation like this?

@Vileynye

I downloaded WhoCrashed and it requires I download a debugging prog from Microsoft. But the thing is it won't install in Safe Mode... and if I try it in normal mode, it crashes before I can finish downloading it! Catch-22. :(

What do you think it would cost to bring it into a computer tech place and have it fixed?

Edited by Channel5, 29 December 2012 - 10:49 PM.

#9 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

Are you able to create the msInfo32.nfo file while in safe mode?

If so, try to transfer it to a USB flash drive. Also try to copy the minidumps to the flash drive. They can be zipped into a folder and uploaded to a file sharing service from another computer.

Regards,
Brooks

#10 Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

Try running memtest86+ and/or re-seating and cleaning your RAM sticks. Anything new to your computer that you've added/used?

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

But when in the process of saving them in Safe Mode, it crashes my PC

What Windows edition is it? Remove one stick of RAM alternately to check on the difference.

Edited by jhayz, 01 January 2013 - 10:32 PM.

Tekken

#12 Channel5

Channel5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

@Artrooks,

No, it won't even let me create msinfo32.nfo before it reboots. :(

@Jan Benedict,

What's memtest86+? And no, I have not added or used anything new. It had just been sitting for a few months without being used or turned on.

@jhayz,

I'm using WindowsXp. I'll try your suggestion.

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Try to get one or more (4 would be good) recent minidump files copied to a flashdrive:
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump <<< folder
    Look inside the Minidump folder for the minidumps (Minixxxxxx.dmp files).
    xxxxxx represents the date
Transfer the minidump files to a working computer and zip them up and attach the zipped file to a reply.
  • Click on the first minidump file to select it.
  • Hold down the <Shift> key, and click on the last minidump file to select all of the files.
  • Release the <Shift> key.
  • Now, right-click on any one of the selected files > Send to ... > Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    The zip file will be located in the same place.
  • Attach the zip file to your next reply.
    When you click on Add Reply, you will see the facility to attach a file just below the box where you type your message.

Edited by AustrAlien, 02 January 2013 - 03:52 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users