Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compatability question (files) between Win 7 Pro 64-bit & Win XP 32-bit

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Good evening everyone,

A friend of mine is getting me a Dell Optiplex 755 desktop PC with WIN7 Pro, 64-bit. I presently have a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop running Win XP Pro, 32-bit computer.

My question: Are there any compatibility issues in using Word & Excel files I created on my Win XP Pro 32-bit machine and using those files on this new 64-bit Win 7 Pro machine?

* This new machine has a "Microsoft-compatible" word processing and a spreadsheet program, though I don't know the specific name of them.

Thank you for your time and any info. :busy:

Edited by spc3rd, 14 December 2012 - 05:27 PM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

There won't be any incompatibility caused by different versions of Windows, or by one OS being 32 bit and the other 64 bit. The document files remain the same. If there is any compatibility problem, it will come about because of differences between the applications reading and writing the files. So how well it works will be determined by just how "compatible" the equivalent program is on the new system.

Edited by Platypus, 14 December 2012 - 06:14 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

Hi Platypus,

I really appreciate the information! Hopefully, those "Microsoft-compatible" word processing/spreadsheet applications aren't radically different from Word & Excel 2003. I'm also going to have to re-learn how Win 7 works. The only time I ever used it was about 3 years ago and still working for the county's Parks & Recreation Division. Frankly, I felt like Win 7 wasn't as user-friendly as Win XP Pro.

Thanks again for the help! :thumbsup:

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users