Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver crashes - screen goes blank

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lazyguy89

Lazyguy89

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

Hi, I am new here.

Once in a while (once a day for the past 3 days) my computer screen goes blank (black) and everything freezes. Once it happened while I had a song playing and the music kept going for another 20 seconds or so until it freezes and makes a buzzing sound. I had this problem before in the past but it disappeared when I created a new profile (because my old one got corrupted due to the crashes). I believe it is my display driver that crashes as in the past it has recovered once, and it said it was the display driver that stopped working. I believe I have the most up to date drivers as I went to device manager and clicked update and it noted that I have the most up to date drivers on my video card. These crashes happen when I am browsing the web, and not playing video games.

I am running on Intel® Core™ i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz, 8gb RAM, on a 64 bit Operating system. Windows 7

Any ideas whats wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

Please post the computer model next time.

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program. To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Download SecurityCheck.exe from Here

. Run SecurityCheck and follow the instruction from inside the code box.
. When the scan is finished, a notepad will automatically open as check.txt
Please copy and paste the contents here on your next reply.

Tekken

#3 Lazyguy89

Lazyguy89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

Snapshot:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KD6Fe1wKCKvrUG3rBwhKE1L

Security Check:

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.56
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is enabled)
Internet Explorer 9
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
Norton 360
WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
MVPS Hosts File
Spybot - Search & Destroy
JavaFX 2.1.0
Java™ 7 Update 4
Java version out of Date!
Adobe Flash Player 11.5.502.135
Mozilla Firefox (17.0.1)
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
Norton ccSvcHst.exe
Spybot Teatimer.exe is disabled!
Symantec Norton Online Backup NOBuAgent.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 0%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

Thanks for your help

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

You said

it said it was the display driver that stopped working. I believe I have the most up to date drivers as I went to device manager and clicked update and it noted that I have the most up to date drivers on my video card.

You should never use the windows update for drivers. Always go to the makers website for them. Windows update drivers when they work are not the best and sometime they cause problems.

This page shows that this is the latest driver for the Radeon HD6850. I'm basing this on the Speccy Report.

AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver
for Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8 64-bit

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/12-10_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql_net4.exe

Description:
Package contains the following graphics drivers and dependent/required software for the products specified in the current version's official release notes for the 64 bit version of Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8:
Display Driver
OpenCL™ Driver
AMD Integrated Driver
Catalyst Control Center

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 15 December 2012 - 01:56 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Lazyguy89

Lazyguy89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

I actually have tried both ways to update my driver in the past, both had these crashes. These crashes seem somewhat very random as it can happen as often as twice a day or once a week. Heck my computer was fine for over a month until a few days ago. However, I will download the update from your link and use it and see if it helps

Edited by Lazyguy89, 15 December 2012 - 02:44 PM.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:44 AM

You also have Daemon Tools - DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device which could be causing your freezing problems. I'm not sure spybot and norton play well together but in my case, I would remove spybot completely and use Spywareblaster instead. Spybot is not recommended nowadays.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users