Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer loading up, but showing Black Screen of death!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Louise2212

Louise2212

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Until yesterday my Windows Vista Fujitsu Siemens laptop was working fine.

Today I went to turn it on, and while the 1st load up screen appears (the one that says Fujitsu Siemens, and to press F2 or F12 to enter diagnostics or bios screen) the screen then just turns black; the Windows loading screen doesn't even show.
Pressing F2 or F12 on the first screen have the same effect

If you leave the laptop to try load up for a couple of mins, and then press the power button to enter standby mode; when resuming from standby mode the log on screen appears for a second, but then promptly returns back to the black screen of death.

Also the fan doesn't seem to working - could this be connected?

The only thing I can think of that's happened recently is Microsoft did install updates two days ago.

Anybody any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Louise2212

Louise2212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

Quick update:

I have connected laptop to tv and that works fine when working in safe mode. However if you try and start windows normally nothing appears on either screen.

Also the fan is working intermittently.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

Can you hear or feel the fan when you first start the computer?

When the computer first begins the start process it goes through the POST (Power On Self Test), this test looks at all of the peripheral devices, if one of these fails the computer will not start. If the fan isn't running then this could make the POST fail.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Louise2212

Louise2212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hi dc3

The fan seems to e working now, as is Windoes (after a system restore to before updates were installed) - I just still can't can't get the laptop monitor to show anything.

I think your reason maybe why I was getting nothing happening yesterday (possible overheating of laptop)

I'm now trying to run an Eset scan to see that brings up anything.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

In your second post you wrote that the computer would work in Safe Mode while it is connected to the TV, does the laptop screen work in Safe Mode?

Safe Mode uses a different video driver, this may be why the TV works in Safe Mode but not normal mode.

Look in the Device Manager for Display adapters, are there any yellow dots with an exclamation mark or a yellow question mark?

Double click on the Display adapters, post what video device is shown there.

Double click on the video device, a page with tabs on the top, under the first tab (General) you will see Device status, if it is working properly it will display this.

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Edit: Boot into Safe Mode with networking, this will allow you to make the download.

Edited by dc3, 15 December 2012 - 12:52 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Louise2212

Louise2212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

In your second post you wrote that the computer would work in Safe Mode while it is connected to the TV, does the laptop screen work in Safe Mode?

No

Look in the Device Manager for Display adapters, are there any yellow dots with an exclamation mark or a yellow question mark?

Everything seems okay in device manager

Double click on the Display adapters, post what video device is shown there.

Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

Double click on the video device, a page with tabs on the top, under the first tab (General) you will see Device status, if it is working properly it will display this.

It says it is working properly

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Edit: Boot into Safe Mode with networking, this will allow you to make the download.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/kZwGNplzKUsByq2hiemqwn6

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

This is beginning to sound like you have a couple of problems.

When you boot into Safe Mode does Windows boot properly?

Being able to use the TV in Safe Mode but not in normal mode indicates that there is a problem with the video driver. Safe Mode uses a limited number of native drivers, the video driver used is one of these and would explain why it works in Safe Mode but not normal mode.

You could try downloading the driver and reinstall it, it can be downloaded from the Intel Download Center.

The second problem is that the screen on the laptop doesn't work with either driver. This could be a bad inverter board, a bad connection with the ribbon cable. If it's a bad back light you should be able to shine a flash light on the screen and see what is being displayed.

Would you please post the model of this computer?

Do you know if this laptop has a switch to go between the laptop's screen and the external monitor?

#8 Louise2212

Louise2212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

When you boot into Safe Mode does Windows boot properly?

It seems to - only problem is if I chose safe mode with Networking, I can't turn my wireless on (Usually I press FN + F1 and a dialog box appears - the dialog box doesn't pop up here though)

You could try downloading the driver and reinstall it, it can be downloaded from the Intel Download Center.

Tried to update the driver, but the laptop screen is still not on

The second problem is that the screen on the laptop doesn't work with either driver. This could be a bad inverter board, a bad connection with the ribbon cable. If it's a bad back light you should be able to shine a flash light on the screen and see what is being displayed.

Looks like a bad back light then; Just shone a torch at the screen, and you could make out what should be displayed.
Is this fixable?

Would you please post the model of this computer?

Amilo Li 2727

Do you know if this laptop has a switch to go between the laptop's screen and the external monitor?

Do you mean a physical switch? (No) or when you right-click the desktop & go into display properties? (You can select between the two here - it's currently on Mirror)

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

Yes is is fixable, but it will cost about sixty dollars.

I know that there are videos which will show you how to change it.

#10 Louise2212

Louise2212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

Thanks very much the help :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users