Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows won't start

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 panjok2

panjok2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

Hp pavilion dv5000 dv5220us
windows xp professional
google chrome
norton internet security
norton utilities ( I ran scans every month and YES registry scans too :( ( i now know I shouldn't have because I just deleted what it told me was bad!) please don't beat me! lol I'm learning!

My computer had gotten the blue screen every so often but I would restart and all would be ok! This could be from something I did when reinstalling a year ago?

Today when it starts it goes straight to the safemode screen and no matter which one I pick (safemode,normal,last known config) it crashes and restarts!

I changed the restart feature so I could write down the blue screen error here... stop: 0x0000007b (0xf79e5524,0xc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000

I went into the bios (i guess because I am kinda new at this) and did a hard drive test (or whatever test it let me do) and all came out ok!

I had reinstalled with xp professional disc about a year ago due to hard drive failure. That is what the computer is suppose to run originally! I used a larger hard drive then what came with it originally!

Here is a link to the problems I had when I re-installed last time over a year ago. I ended up using a windows xp professional disc after trying the recovery disc that microsoft sent me because they were for Media center edition and this had xp professional on it before!
My link

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

Hi -
A few basics would be good first .............. May be OK in Safe Mode so I usually use this method -
Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:
•Click Start and open My Computer

•Right-click on C: and select Properties

•Click on the Tools tab

•Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button

•Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

•Click on the Start button

•When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and > > Restart your computer

•Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so
This usually takes 1 to 2 hours (on average) in Normal mode, so I am not sure in Safe mode

Also a sfc /scannow check is required with your XP CD inserted to try and recover any corrupted files -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users