Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

using recimg.exe with the bootable USB?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TIMEWARPED

TIMEWARPED

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

I just read the 'how to' article on creating the bootable USB drive with the recovery partition in Win8 and the acticle on creating a custom refresh image.

Could I create the bootable USB drive without the recovery partition , and then add [to this bootable usb] a custom refresh image I had created with recimg.exe?

I created the bootable USB drive with the recovery partition. But since then, I've upped to Win 8 Pro. So I'm thinking the this would give me the restore with the new version.

Does this make sense? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

Hi,

Do you still need help with this ? To be honest, I am not 100% sure what you are trying to do? If you have upgraded to pro, you may want to just recreate the USB drive again to be safe.

As for the custom refresh image, you can only create the images on a fixed disk. I am not sure, though, if you can restore from a USB drive. Checking on that now.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

I justed test and the problem is that when the Recovery Drive is created it will format the USB drive as a Fat32 drive. This only supports a maximum file size of 4GB. As custom refresh images are bigger, we would not be able to store it.

You may be able to format another usb drive as a ntfs volume and then copy the custom refresh image on to that. Then insert that in the recovery environment and try refresh from it. Not sure if it will work, but let us know if you test it.

#4 TIMEWARPED

TIMEWARPED
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Grinler, thank you very much for your replies.

I just looked at the recovery usb I made initially [with the win 8 home] When I did that, it asked [and I said yes] if I wanted the recovery partition placed on the usb. It placed it in a folder called ‘source’
It created 5: install.swm, install2swm, install3.swm, install4.swm, install5.swm. All of these files are just over 2GBs.

Your suggestions for using a second USB sounds plasable. But do you think I could “split” the custom image into 4 or 5 files to make it work? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I’ve heard there are programs that would do this, but am not familiar with them or the process.

THANKS again.
Bob

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

I think for this to have any chance of working you would need to have the recovery image intact. It won't work split up into difference files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users