Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB2VGA Cable Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 balon

balon

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

I had to go into this workplace and set up dual monitors for 3 clients, they all have the same computers, same windows, same everything. 2 weeks back I found out a VGA Splitter wouldn't work (silly me) it only splits the same signal. So I turned to StarTechs USB2VGAE2. When I came to set up up on Computer 1, I spent hours disabling the firewall, updating the windows, updating drivers - Nothing works. It just wont pick up when I plug it into the computer (Yes plug n play is enabled, I can plug in a regular flash drive and it picks up fine)

So after hours of trying I gave up, before I left I plugged in one of the USB2VGAE2's into Computer 3, as soon as I plugged it in the little usb symbol appeared and it installed the device driver. Had no problem at all. Plugged in monitor 2 and bang, it works. I go in and it works on Computer 2. Same deal.

So 2/3 computers work, I tried each device on all the computers so its not the device, it is the same type of computer and set up. The only difference is that 2 of the computers work and one doesn't.

When I plug it in it appears in device manager as Unknown, and under printers and devices as USB2VGA. Whenver I install the drivers, they install so I can see which monitors which but still not signal out of the USB2VGA. The USB lights up like its supposed to, the computer recongizes it, but it looks like after its recongized nothing else happens, so basically I'm stuck at it picking up, but the monitor wont pick up the signal and the drivers dont install themselves.

I tried to install drivers off the site and CD. I have offically ran out of options and I need some help here to get this last computer to work..

Thank you for anyone who can and try to help me, i appreciate it!

-balon

(Cant install a video card as the PCI slot is way too small, and cards for the manfucaturer are last option, but I would rather use this USB2VGA.)

Thanks again!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

In the past when I've had issues like this I found uninstalling all drivers and software for the application and hardware and doing a reboot was a good start. Then I would try either opening, but not installing the driver, and then adding the device and manually pointing it to the driver folder to install and reboot when done.

I've also had to do the opposite where driver and software are installed first and then you add the hardware to be auto detected. USB can be a pain some times.

Secunia PSI might be a help as well. If this one system is missing and update that the others might already have.

Hope this helps,
Zen

#3 balon

balon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for the tips, I have to contact central office and have them fix what they messed up (The computers have easyguard encryption so yeah..)

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 15,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

Another thing that could help is USBDeview:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Sometimes a failed install can thwart further install attempts because Windows recognizes the device ID and keeps it attached to the faulty driver install. USBDeview lets you remove all references to the device, and try a completely fresh driver install.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users