Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adaware Interferes With Antivirus Scan

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Pa

Richard Pa

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 02:55 PM

Is there a way to turn off AdAware? (I currently use the Personal Build 1.05 version. By the way, is the file size of 1.06 much bigger? 1.05 works for me fine and I'd rather not change things, by having to uninstall 1.05 and install 1.06 that is untested on this computer.) I attempted to do a scan using the Titanium 2004 antivirus software from Panda and it did not work. I was told by Panda that any other anitvirus, ad/spyblocker, etc. will keep its scan program from working. I do get daily signature file updates from them correctly, so it is just the scanning feature that is being affected by AdAware.

I would rather not have to uninstall AdAware just so as to do the scan.

Thank you for any helpful feedback.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 03:12 PM

Hello Richard Pa

If your running two anti-virus programs that can be a problem but Ad-aware is not an anti-virus program. Ad-aware is basically a stand-alone anti-spyware scanner unless your using the paid for SE Plus version which includes Ad-watch - a component that provides real time monitoring by running in the backgroud. However, even that should not interfere with an anti-virus scan. Are you using the free or SE Plus version with Ad-watch?

Did you get this information about Ad-aware from Panda's tech support?

The interference could be coming from another program. What other anti-spyware programs are you using?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 03:28 PM

Is the 2004 Panda software up to date?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Richard Pa

Richard Pa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 03:30 PM

I use AdAware Personal free, version Build 1.05 (no ad-watch).
Panda tech told me that any other antivirus program, ad blocker,
spyware blocker, etc. will interfere with their scan.

I seem to recall that it ran ok last year. (Yes, I haven't used it since then)
Last year I had AdAware running.

I thought maybe, if I turned off AdAware, and I assume there is a way
to do this through one of the configuration features on 1.05
I could try to do the scan and see if that makes a difference.

I use only one antivirus program on my machine and have never installed
any other AV program on it. Everyday I get daily signature file updates from
Panda, so that feature is working correctly.

Edited by Richard Pa, 25 March 2006 - 03:31 PM.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 03:45 PM

You should always run the most updated version of a security program.
Your version of Ad-aware (1.05) is over a year old.
It could very well be the cause of your problems, as I've never had any problems with the newer version, while performing scans, online or otherwise.

You should download the newest version. install it, update it, and then try your AV scan, again.
Ad-aware SE Personal, Build 1.06r1
2.72 MB download

Using Ad-Aware SE

Edited by tg1911, 25 March 2006 - 03:46 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:31 PM

I use AdAware Personal free, version Build 1.05 (no ad-watch).
Panda tech told me that any other antivirus program, ad blocker,
spyware blocker, etc. will interfere with their scan.

That is an irresponsible statement by that tech. If you review just a fraction of the topics\post on this site you will see that is how most of the worst malware\virus'\trojan are deatl with.

I thought maybe, if I turned off AdAware, and I assume there is a way
to do this through one of the configuration features on 1.05
I could try to do the scan and see if that makes a difference.

I believe you would be making a mistake. AdAware is a core element in the current defence, and attack on malware. This is not over state but is proven by it us by thousands of security site , buniess and persons throughout the world. I believe you may have some corrupted files either in your Panda or AdAware programs. I would start be downloading and saving the uninstalled program to disk/hard drive. Disconnect from the internet (unplug from the wall). Uninstall your security applications, then reinstall them. Once installed reconnect to the internet and update you applications starting with Panda.

I use only one antivirus program on my machine and have never installed
any other AV program on it. Everyday I get daily signature file updates from
Panda, so that feature is working correctly.

Many people believe running a security program every few days is sufficient. I believe, personally that all your security programs that run automaticily should run every day. Why not. If they find nothing you are no worst for the ware, but if they do they could save you a lot of grief.
IMO.

#7 Richard Pa

Richard Pa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:13 AM

"I believe you may have some corrupted files either in your Panda or AdAware programs. I would start be downloading and saving the uninstalled program to disk/hard drive. Disconnect from the internet (unplug from the wall). Uninstall your security applications, then reinstall them. Once installed reconnect to the internet and update you applications starting with Panda."

I'm sort of confused as to the sequence of steps and how I can make this easy on myself.
I first uninstall AdAware, and am I given the option to save the program to a folder in my
C drive? If so, I proceed. Then I uninstall Panda Titanium. (I was sent an uninstall link in an email
by a Panda Tech rep, but the program itself on my computer has an uninstall feature.)
I disconnect from the Internet - why unplug the modem cord? Disconnect severs the line. Right?)
If I reinstall Adaware, I will be reinstalling the version I currently use which has been working fine.
I then put into my CD-ROM tray the Titanium CD-ROM and load the program again.
But if AdAware is installed, and I have yet to read anywhere of how to turn it off, I believe
the AV program will be installed while ANOTHER program is running. I thought when an AV program
is installed, there should not be any program running like this.

My first thought is to install Panda first, and THEN reinstall Adaware. TG1911 mentioned that the newest
version of a security program should always be running. Adaware still sends updated files for
1.05. All I have read is that 1.06 moves faster and is more efficient. The scanner for the Panda Titanium
software is from a 2004 CD, which worked fine last year.

Is there not some way to turn off Adaware? The provided install link for Adaware is for Build 1.03.
I googled "how to turn off Adaware" or some similar phrase and got a description of "click on adaware
configuration window, click on tweak." I went to the tweak options and there was no such option for
turning Adaware off. Maybe there is some other phrase used which tells the Adaware program
to turn off. I can't believe teh program is set to a default of "always on."

And last, one reason why I have not accepted the newest version of Adaware, is that I have read
that newer doesn't always mean better. Best to let others run into the bugs first, and then
adopt the newest version. Up until my recent problem with the Panda scan, Adaware has worked
fine as has Titanium. If something is working ok, I would prefer leaving it alone, rather than
creating more problems by puting something new into the mix.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:41 AM

I am sorta confused. In your first post you said Panda's scan does not work, right? You believe it is do to AdAware, right? Unless you have the paid verison of AdAware it should be a manual scan only and should not affect other programs.
I suggested disconnecting from the internet I thought you we on DSL or Cable. Once you disable your AV program you should not get on the internet until it is enabled. As long as Panda is install before accessing the net which is first makes no difference.

#9 Richard Pa

Richard Pa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:15 AM

Now I am confused!!

Yes, I understand your statement about needing to re-install Panda before doing anything new to Adaware.
Yes, I am on a dialup, so once I click on "disconnect" from my internet provider, I am off.

When you say that AA does a manual scan, I assume you mean that after I have downloaded
the most recent build files, and then do a scan, it will remove, quarantine, heal, etc. stuff it
detects as potentially harmful. After that, it is simply providing the code with which to detect
bad stuff.

The Panda tech referred to it as a program that is running that may interfere with the AV scan
which is manually done. I have a feeling that perhaps somehow the AV program file got corrupted.
In one or two days, I will uninstall the program, and reinstall it and see what happens.

Again, I ask, if I re-install the AV program, should I not uninstall Adaware first, or is it ok to keep
it "alive" since as you said, its scan from the free version is done only manually?
I had thought that somewhere in the background, AA was running.

It's getting late here, so I will sign off. I appreciate your help. I will continue this project tomorrow (3/26/06) or the next day (3/27/06).
I wanted to simplify the renewal of this AV product which was working fine up until the last day of
renewal. This has turned into more than a simple matter of simply calling in to renew!

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:30 AM

And last, one reason why I have not accepted the newest version of Adaware, is that I have read that newer doesn't always mean better. Best to let others run into the bugs first, and then adopt the newest version.

The latest version has been out for a quite some time now and the bugs have been worked out. Thus, your reason here for not doing so is no longer applicable.

Even Lavasoft, the makers of Ad-aware, have a notice on their site that recommends users to update their program to the latest version (1.06) with new enhanced features to help you fight spyware.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Again, I ask, if I re-install the AV program, should I not uninstall Adaware first, or is it ok to keep it "alive" since as you said, its scan from the free version is done only manually?
I had thought that somewhere in the background, AA was running.

Ad-aware does not run in the background. It only runs when you manually launch the program and perform a scan.

Just follow acklan's instructions:
1. Downloading the newest versions and saving the uninstalled program to disk/hard drive.
2. Disconnect from the internet.
3. Uninstall your security applications.
4. Reinstall them.
5. Once installed reconnect to the internet.
6. Update you applications starting with Panda.
7. Then run Ad-aware and update its definitions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 Richard Pa

Richard Pa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:59 PM

I wanted to fill you in on the resolution of the scan problem with my Panda antivirus program.

Rather than going into the specifics and problems I had with problem resolution, etc., let me
just say that after weeks of getting minimal attention and suggestions for resolving the problem
(after I had uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted items, updated programs, etc), I simply switched
to AVG Free. I installed the antivirus program and was able to run a scan of the computer
successfully (no viruses found).

To this day, I still do not know why the scanner from the Titanium product no longer worked
even though I was successfully getting daily virus signature updates which did in fact protect
this computer.

The thing I will remember is that Panda protected my computer, during updates, certain processes
slowed for a short time, and last, that customer service lost a customer due to the ineffective and
unsatisfactory way in which my situation was addressed. I guess my situation wasn't worth their time.

Edited by Richard Pa, 30 April 2006 - 10:01 PM.

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:16 PM

I think you will like AVGFree, and it will protect you against malware in a straight-forward fashion and you will not experience any conflicts between running it and anti-spyware applications such as Ad-AwareSE.
I hope you have downloaded and installed the latest version of Ad-Aware.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users