Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Problems, Please help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Grantyy

Grantyy

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:15 AM

Hi and thank you for taking the time to help if you are able to.

If you are in a rush please skip to third paragraph

I posted a template yesterday on the other section to help decide what type of PC I needed, I then posted a description to one I had just found and was told it was a great (Ripping to be precise :) ) deal, I thought so too, anyway to save time here is that link which includes a link to system specs also http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic478180.html

So I picked it up and he seemed a genuine lad, after thinking he may be pulling a fast one last night due to a bad signal he has been very helpful since and told me I can return the PC to his work today or Monday or take to my Computer shop and he will pay though upto how much i'm unsure as yet as he is also looking for the receipt as possibly PC world could help out?

Upon collection I took my monitor down with me, on start up there were a few screen flashes with a pink background and it seemed slow to get going (I am unfamiliar with Windows 7, XP was my latest) once it started it said destruction something (through reading on the net I guess it was recovery or restore) he had said originally he had reset to original and he thought it had finished restoring, it said 30 to 60 mins, I didn't realise it was running a full reinstall, not sure how it could straight from start up with only a mouse connected, unless it had been previously interupted the last time it was on?, I said i'm happy to see it is working and he turned it off, I thought it was just running something after his installation and thought i'd set it running at home but it seems now to have been running the destruction recovery?

Since I got it home it just goes black for 5 secs and then for less than 2 seconds an Advent screen appears which says F7 for boot (i think, can check if need be) and del for bios, on the boot option it comes up with three options if my memory serves me correctly (wrote first two down ;) )
1-P1 Atapi ihas124 B
2-P0 STI500DL 003-9VT16L
3-Bios
choosing 1 or 2 just result in a black screen and my monitors on screen display flickers a fair bit, its always been a tempremental monitor but solid once running, it often starts in split screen, though turning on and off sorts this, doubt that is the problem though as the PC only had 1 standard monitor output (VGA I believe, blue) and it was my monitor we used at the sellers house at which point it seemed to be working.
Entering the bios I didn't see anything obvious, the one thing I did find strange though is that F4 and Esc would not work (I know because my dongle flashes for every keystroke) meaning I couldn't save any changes or even exit back once i hit a dead end. Reading on the net I found that Advent PC's commonly use F8 to access the advanced boot menu, though this key would not seem to work either, F7 would but F8 was also dead, testing on my old PC now, F8 works but esc F4 F5 and F6 do not, I am using my old Medion keyboard but have tried restarting without any keyboard or mouse connected, Mine are both plug and play anyway, the one that came with it has had 5 sets of used batteries and shows a red light for all so until i get some new ones I cannot try that to see if my keyboard is faulty, I never use F keys and every other key barring esc and the F keys mentioned works, could this be why I cannot access the advanced boot screen, simply because my keyboard has some dead keys? I find it strange that it would be the ones i never use and so I'm not so sure! I think that when the computer was turned off during destructive recovery damage may have been done, I just thought it important to mention every aspect of my problem so that you clever guys can have the best chance of helping me and I appreciate any help received very much

Other info

There is no dedicated windows disc or advent startup disc (If ever there was one), apparently its all (or was) onboard, there were 2 blank discs for backup though they have not been used

I'd really like to keep this PC, but if you cant help and know of any similar deals or next best option then i'd at least be grateful of that.

Thanks

Edited by Grantyy, 14 December 2012 - 04:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:45 AM

Product support | Advent Computers
The Advent support site is ("not my quote") , but "rubbish". All drivers/utils they list are easily available else where. The ones that can't be found elsewhere aren't given.
However...
For OLDER Advent Laptops/Notebooks and most Advent PCs are made by 'Medion' a German firm. Their website supplies ALL drivers, utils etc for your laptop by the Medion (MD) model number. This you will find on the back of your laptop and will usually begin with a MD- reference (ignore the Advent model number crap).
"Advent Computers" are the DSG own brand line. DSG (Dixons Sales Group) own Dixons, Currys and PCWorld. They are low value low quality units out of generic factories in China.
They will do the job, but their build quality, especially for laptops is shockingly bad. I would rather take an Acer or Dell of a similar price than an Advent.

A collection of "subjective remarks" from several other postings that I have gathered -

Take it back and get your money back ............
Just a personl opinion
after looking at quite a few sites today -

EDIT - No disrespect to Killer for his opinions, but I think it was a quick "Get rid of it" sale -

Edited by noknojon, 15 December 2012 - 05:48 AM.

#3 Grantyy

Grantyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for your opinion Noknojohn, I kind of knew Advent wasn't the best make but at £180 through my research I still found it should be around double the price for a refurbed model and I just wanted to upgrade my old PC on the cheap as I have spent a lot of money elsewhere this Christmas, I kind of want everything right now and so I guess the Advent was a slight sacrifice as I don't mind paying for quality! I should have said I've spent a lot of money on my gf as she has spent a lot of money on me, kind of how it works isn't it? still costs a fortune at the end of the day!

Anyway I paid a guy I work with and he has installed Win 8 and it's now working and much much faster and smother than my old Medion and so I am very happy, the seller has been in constant touch and was willing to pay the £50 PC world wanted for the fix, I gave my colleague £20 and am getting that back via bank transfer from the seller so I guess alls well that ends well!.... Just hope the damn advent lasts at least the whole of 2013 :)

Ty

Edited by Grantyy, 18 December 2012 - 01:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users