Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what direction do my computer fans go? i messed up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 helpmefixitplease

helpmefixitplease

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

hi everyone! i have somewhat of a dilemma. i just got done giving my computer a thorough cleaning
(which it needed bad) i took out all 3 fans and removed all the caked on dust as well as fixed one of the loud fans. so now everything is super clean and ready to go, but i think i might have put the fans back on the wrong direction. i put them on based upon which side the wires attached to them are on and everything looks right but i want to be sure i didn't mess up.

i have a dell inspiron 530s. there are two fans on the heat sink. 1 on its side, and one above it. i'm thinking the one on the side is supposed to blow air into the heat sink and the one above the heat sink is supposed to blow air out of the computer since there is a vent on the top of the computer right where the fan above the heat sink is.
is that right?

the 3rd fan is built into the power supply on the bottom back of the computer. if your looking at the back of the computer there are a bunch of little holes in the power supply and the connection port for the power wire. then if you open the side of the computer the power supply fan is on the top of the power supply but built into it. i was thinking the fan in the power supply should be blowing air up but the heat sink is above it which i thought had to be cooled so it seems like it wouldn't make sense for it to blow the hot air from the power supply up into the heat sink.

as far as i know all the fans only have 1 sticker on one side. (if that helps)

if you guys can help me figure this out, that would be great!
thanks.

heres a pic.

Attached File  inspiron530s.jpg   60.21KB   5 downloads

this pic is not of my actual computer its just the same model.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

The fan on the heat sink attached to the motherboard should be blowing into the heat sink. This fan and heat sink are mounted on the CPU, if you moved the heat sink in the process you should clean the surface of the CPU and heat sink and reapply thermal compound.

The orientation for the fans looks like it should be the way you have described. You can turn on the computer to see if the fans are blowing in the correct direction, if the fan on the CPU isn't blowing in the correct direction I would turn off the computer as soon as possible and correct it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 helpmefixitplease

helpmefixitplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

The fan on the heat sink attached to the motherboard should be blowing into the heat sink. This fan and heat sink are mounted on the CPU, if you moved the heat sink in the process you should clean the surface of the CPU and heat sink and reapply thermal compound.

The orientation for the fans looks like it should be the way you have described. You can turn on the computer to see if the fans are blowing in the correct direction, if the fan on the CPU isn't blowing in the correct direction I would turn off the computer as soon as possible and correct it.

hey thanks for your answer but i already figured it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users