Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What to Start with Visual Basics or Python ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Exdores

Exdores

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

Hello. So i am interested in making my own games, so which would be best to learn Visual Basic or Python. I know the basics of html and css, So would it be a good idea to go Visual Basic then Python then in the C family ? or would it be better to go Python first then Visual Basics. Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lina20

lina20

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

hello...i would say...if u are a beginner...its better to start with python + graphics api...it is much easy to work in 2d or 3d in python...rather than with visual basic or c...you can use the api known as opencv which can help you with both python and c...however...i still maintain that python is much easier. you can use java as well. It is easier because whenever you have problems...you just google it...and you will have many documentation...whereas if you have problems with c or visual basic...it will take you sometimes before finding a good solution to your problem...good luck

#3 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

Personally, my opinion is that anything Microsoft related is bad. If you ever wanted to port your game to a Mac or whatever it will be much more difficult. My suggestion is to try Python like said or something more cross-platform and supported well like C or Perl.

#4 AceInfinity

AceInfinity

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

Personally, my opinion is that anything Microsoft related is bad. If you ever wanted to port your game to a Mac or whatever it will be much more difficult. My suggestion is to try Python like said or something more cross-platform and supported well like C or Perl.

Python is a multi-platform language (See: http://www.python.org/). It should be fine for what he's trying to do though in my opinion. If you're just fine with developing for Windows though then why focus on whether or not something is supported on another platform?

For me personally I don't have any interest in programming for Mac, and the only time I would get close, is for Objective-C development for IOS based devices.

Edited by AceInfinity, 14 January 2013 - 08:56 AM.

mvp.png
Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

#5 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Python is a multi-platform language (See: http://www.python.org/). It should be fine for what he's trying to do though in my opinion. If you're just fine with developing for Windows though then why focus on whether or not something is supported on another platform?

For me personally I don't have any interest in programming for Mac, and the only time I would get close, is for Objective-C development for IOS based devices.

Probably could have been more clear on that. Too bad I can't edit the post. Oh well. Python is a great language for cross-platform jobs or small programs. Preinstalled in most Linux distros such as Ubuntu (which is used for their updater). Very true. Unless there is a demand then it's not really necessary, but it does save you trouble by using a language that is recognized across different operating systems. It also gives you the chance to have more help especially if it's open source there are a lot of community developers that do this type of thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users