Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD issue with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Swittman

Swittman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

Okay, here's what happened.

Played battlefield 3 last night for a good while and then turned off the computer. My sister turned it on today and got a BSOD with stop error 0x00000074.

Supposedly, this is linked to RAM issues. So I removed my after market ram and it gave me the same issue. Then I removed my OEM RAM and put 1 stick of after market in and my computer worked! So I thought huzzah this is great. But it was really slow so I restarted it. Next thing I know, I'm faced with the same error.

Anyways, long story short, I tried startup repair, system restore, last known good configuration, booting into safe mode, pretty much everything and it just got worse and worse until I couldn't even get into safe mode so I can't do anything with my computer now.

I found out on another forum that using a registry cleaner can result in this error and that's exactly what I did last night, I used CCleaner registry cleaner (which has always been fine before) and I think that might be the cause of the issue.
I also had trouble with AVG yesterday and it wasn't on for a while while I was on the internet so this could be malware as well. I really don't know.

So I tried a repair install but it wouldn't let me do that because I couldn't boot into Windows so essentially now what I have done is install Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 on my second HDD that was empty in this computer and now I'm running Windows 7 on it.

Would someone please give me some advice on how to get rid of this stop error and boot back into the inital Windows version on my initial HDD.
I'm going to have to fix the registry somehow.

If you need any additional information, I'll try to get it for you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

From what I see...that error has nothing to do with RAM, indicates a hosed registry.

<<I found out on another forum that using a registry cleaner can result in this error and that's exactly what I did last night, I used CCleaner registry cleaner (which has always been fine before) and I think that might be the cause of the issue.>>

From what I see...you can try last known good...if that doesn't work, the general recommendation by the more knowledgeable that I've seen is a clean install.

See http://captaindbg.com/how-to-restore-registry-hives-on-windows-7/ , might be worth the effort.

Also...see comments by AA at Offline Restore, Registry Hives, AA - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic393442.html . I know that the issues diescussed are for an XP system, but they may also apply to Win 7.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 December 2012 - 06:51 PM.

#3 Swittman

Swittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

Thank you for your answer, I will definitely try those fixes and post back here with results.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

Hello,

hamluis's first link would be appropriate if the problematic drive were still the boot drive. The second link is for Windows XP which works somewhat differently then Windows 7.

If you are now running Windows 7 on a second hard drive and you can still access the original drive (the problematic drive) as a slave, then you might be able to restore the registry by simply copying a few files.

Windows 7 has a scheduled task, RegIdleBackup, that runs every 10 days. RegIdleBackup makes a copy of the "C:\Windows\System32\Config" registry files: Default, Sam, Security, Software, and System, and backs them up into "C:\Windows\System32\Config\RegBack" folder.

You could try copying the five files from the D:\Windows\System32\Config\RegBack folder into the D:\Windows\System32\Config folder.
  • Note - the D: drive letter designation would refer to the problematic drive now slaved (may not be D: ).
  • Before copying, please note the file sizes in the RegBack folder. If any file is 0 KB, then that file is corrupt and the copying won't work.
  • I'm not sure if you will run into file permission issues.
  • If the copy is successful, boot the original problematic drive and see if it starts up.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 Swittman

Swittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

Thank you so much artrooks, the solution posted to restore the registry worked great.
The only downfall now is that I have to re-install Battlefield and download the DLC!!

The other thing is that my computer is running a tad slow (which is the reason why I ran CCleaner in the first place to try to speed it up a bit) but I will try to work on that without ruining the registry this time.

The solution worked for the time being but I am not going to mark it as fixed yet until everything is fine and I've worked with it a few days to make sure I do not get anymore BSODs.

Cheers for now.
Thank you for your help

#6 Swittman

Swittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:24 AM

UPDATE:

After just one reboot, I am back to square 1, in fact maybe even square -1 because I was able to boot into safe mode.
Now I cannot do anything with the initial HDD booting. Even when I try to go into safe mode it loads the drivers then never gets past the black screen afterwards and it just reboots.

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

I also had trouble with AVG yesterday and it wasn't on for a while while I was on the internet so this could be malware as well.

I see two possibilities:

Post in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Forum
  • Follow the forum guidelines as best you can with a non booting computer and give a clear explanation of the problem with a link to this forum topic.
2. Copy any important data you wish to rescue from the problematic hard drive, then perform a clean install of Windows 7.

Edited by Artrooks, 14 December 2012 - 09:27 AM.

Regards,
Brooks

#8 Swittman

Swittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

Thank you again. I am doing virus cleanup today and trying to get it sorted.

Again, I will update with a how-to for the fix and will mark the problem as solved

#9 Swittman

Swittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

Here is the final update

To anyone who received the stop message 0x00000074:
Keep the restarts and changes to a minimum because it may help your chances with fixing this issue.

I'll say C: is my initial drive and E: is the drive I installed Windows onto in order to try to salvage my data.

So my C: drive was completely messed up due to the registry having at least one fatal error caused by using a registry cleaner, CCleaner to be exact, stay cautious.

After installing Windows on the E: drive, I transferred all of my important files over and had to completely wipe the C: drive as there was no fixing it with Hirensbootcd, no registry fixes available, no system restores that did the job, absolutely zilch.

So now I have a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 that I installed from a disc running on my C: drive and I'm going to wipe the E: drive since all of my data has been transferred back and use it a slave for more space than is available on my primary.

All of this started because I was trying to speed up my system a bit, well after biting off more than I could chew my system is ultimately faster albeit from a process that took far too many hours away from me.

So remember, if you see this error:

STOP, don't keep trying to access the system.
1. Boot it into safe mode if you can and run a virus scan.
2. Try to do a system restore to a previous point when it worked.
3. If all else fails(system restore, registry fixes, can't boot into safe mode, repair utility won't do it) then I'm sorry my friend but you may have to do a fresh install. Hopefully you can salvae your data the way I did by using a secondary HDD with Windows installed on it.

Thanks,
Cheers

This can now be marked as closed or solved.

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for the update.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users