Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Connect HP Laserjet 6P Printer to New PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

Hi all,

I just built a new desktop PC system for my son, and did not notice until it was finished that the motherboard did not contain a parallel printer port. (It has Windows 7 Home installed.) This means we're not able to hook up the legacy HP Laserjet 6P printer he was previously using.

Instead of going out and buying another printer with a USB cable connection, I'm hoping there is a simpler solution.

Question #1 - Does anyone know of a PCI or PCI-e card we can add that has a parallel port on it?

Question # 2 - If not, is there such a thing as a converter we could add to the end of the existing parallel printer cable to be able to hook up a USB cable to run the rest of the way to the back of the PC? (Would this even work?)

Thanks.

Edited by Torvald, 13 December 2012 - 04:40 PM.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

There are adapters which go from parallel to USB that run from about ten dollars and up.

Another consideration would be to spend twenty dollars more and purchase a new printer. The HP Home and Office Store has a Deskjet 1000 for $29.99. Target has the same printer for $29.09.

I was going to purchase a color and black ink cartridge for my older Deskjet, I was looking a $50.00 to replace them. I purchased the Desdkjet 1000 at Target and like it very much. If you do go to Target you will be well armed if you pint out their online ad and take it with you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

Thanks for the input.

I'm planning on keeping the HP laserjet 6P printer instead of purchasing a new inkjet printer, since the laserjet is very reliable and quite inexpensive to print with. Laserjet print cartridges are expensive, but seem to last almost forever!

May also buy a separate color inkjet printer next spring, if I can figure out how to connect it into our family network. Right now we've got all the PCs and laptops connected to the internet via a regular router plus a wireless router, with printers hooked directly to the PCs. (Will need to learn how to fully network them next, though.)

Did some additional searching and found some on-line articles recommending using an add-on paralell port card as more reliable than using a converter cable, so will probably try that. Plan to go to the local computer parts wholsaler this weekend and check out what they've got.

Wish me luck!

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

Luck :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Hi, I tried the USB to parallel converter, for a old HP inkjet for my Brother, It saw the printer and did everything except print.
A PCI parallel card cured the problem. One thing to watch out for make sure the card comes with drivers for your version of Windows. I had to search to find a card that had Windows 7 64bit drivers. Most did not.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 21 December 2012 - 02:40 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users