Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thanks to Gringo,I killed "privitize vpn"...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Stix61

Stix61

• Banned Spammer
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

I came here 1st for help, and read and followed his instructions carefully.
Thank you Gringo!

1st, I killed all I could find myself,even scanned all Registry entries,(there weren't any),/Program files,etc...etc..etc...

I then ran all Gringo's programs in order,looked at the created logs and their entries,and Rogue Killer and ComboFix isolated and killed the entries,and fixed all,
even ESET Online Scanner found 1 entry and killed that.

It worked only 1 or 2 times.

However, when I would reboot Firefox,'privitize' would be back in the bottom as 1st search default.

After many attempts,
I WAS SUCCESSFUL WITH A SMALL OVERLOOKED DETAIL.

Even though it was not on my rig anymore,with Registry and all Folders/Files/Programs clean...again thanks to Gringo!...,
it still bothered me to see it trying to connect,and still in ComboFixes Logfile as 1 default connection for FireFox.

This worked for me with XP...Vista and 7 users might be a little different,but,

In XP,

Go to the "Help" Tab./
Choose "Troubleshooting Information"/

And simply choose "RESET FIREFOX"

I have MY browser back,and "privateyes" has been gone for days.

You will retain "bookmarks",but you will have to re-install "Add-Ons"/"Plug-Ins"...etc.

Here's a link for resetting Firefox in XP;
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

Thanks all and best of luck!
Stix :thumbup2:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 13 December 2012 - 03:56 PM.
Moved from log forum to general AV forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

I'm glad you were successful in removing the infection from your computer.

To all readers: Please note that though symptoms may be similar, the cause may be very different. What will work to resolve the issues on one computer at one point may not work on another computer, or even on the same computer at a different point. It is best not to follow malware removal instructions posted for someone else as doing so may turn your computer into an expensive doorstop. I have seen it happen.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users