Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Laptop Malfunctioning

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Agent J

Agent J

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite M645-74070. It's a couple of years old and is frankly a pain in the ass with multiple problems. I don't recommend it. Regardless, I've been having some severe problems with it within the last few days that has rendered it almost completely inoperable. I'm under the impression I may be having some hardware issues. I completely understand that it would be almost impossible for you guys to help me with a hardware problem through a forum, but I was hoping maybe you could help me diagnose what might be going on, if it really is a hardware problem, and what most likely would be malfunctioning. So here's a brief explanation of problems and symptoms.

Within the last few days, when I boot up my laptop , everything operates as it should. I get to the login screen, sign in and reach the desktop. No problem. But from here on out the computer runs very slowly, the mouse is always displaying it's "loading" icon. Within a few minutes of being on it, anything operated by "windows explore" locks up. I cannot scroll over the start menu and have react. When I Ctrl, alt, delete, there is either no response, or a very slow process of the task manager opening up, only to lock up once it's displayed. From here on out the whole computer freezes with the exception of my mouse. I can scroll that around as I please.

Initially I thought it was suffering from a virus so I went into safemode and attempted to scan with malwarebytes. It went through the same process in safemode too, which has lead me to my conclusion that it might be hardware related. I was able to successfully complete the windows memory diagnostics tool but that found no problems.

I don't know a whole lot about computers. I glean what I can when I can. I've been trying to read how to guides for diagnosing computer problems but it's really out of my league. I appreciate any help. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Hello Agent J,

1 .) What was "new" just before the problem started (i.e. new hardware, software, malware, error messages)?

2. ) Restart the computer in Safe Mode with Networking and use it for a while as a test.
  • Open and use what software you can.
  • Remember that your anti-virus software may not be activated in this mode, so be careful where you surf to.
  • If the computer doesn't freeze in Safe Mode, it points more to a software issue.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

I have dealt with many Toshiba laptops and All in Ones in the past. I have a older Toshiba L/T that I use. I have never seen one with the issue you mention where it wasn't a software issue.

If we think about it, How would the Hardware know to act up only on the desktop.

Follow Artrooks advice.

In your case in safemode with networking I would run the Online Virus scan from hereYou might be surprised.
Also what Antivirus are you using? I have seen major slowdowns with one brand, strangely enough only on a few computers and others with the same brand and version would be fine. And of course if your Antivirus is disabled that is a sign of Malware.

One other point to mention is that Malware Bytes antimalware works best in normal mode, not safe mode as I understand it.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Agent J

Agent J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Hello Agent J,

1 .) What was "new" just before the problem started (i.e. new hardware, software, malware, error messages)?

2. ) Restart the computer in Safe Mode with Networking and use it for a while as a test.

• Open and use what software you can.
  • Remember that your anti-virus software may not be activated in this mode, so be careful where you surf to.
  • If the computer doesn't freeze in Safe Mode, it points more to a software issue.

1. Hmm, that's a great point, but I can't recall adding anything to it within the last few days. I know for sure I added no new hardware. As for programs, the last thing was honesty a game I downloaded through Steam. The Walking Dead. And that was days ago.

2. When I restart the computer in safemode, I can open the internet browser. But within a few minutes the problems start up, mozzila does not respond, and soon the whole computer is locked up, as I described above. I tried to describe how my safemode suffers the same problem as non-safemode in my first post, but did I poor job, I suppose. Sorry about that. But to clarify again, the computer does freeze in safemode in exactly the same manner as when I load it up normally, which is why I think it's hardware.

Thank you so much for your attention and suggestions. I appreciate it immensely. If you need anymore info, I'm happy to supply it.

#5 Agent J

Agent J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

I have dealt with many Toshiba laptops and All in Ones in the past. I have a older Toshiba L/T that I use. I have never seen one with the issue you mention where it wasn't a software issue.

If we think about it, How would the Hardware know to act up only on the desktop.

Follow Artrooks advice.

In your case in safemode with networking I would run the Online Virus scan from hereYou might be surprised.
Also what Antivirus are you using? I have seen major slowdowns with one brand, strangely enough only on a few computers and others with the same brand and version would be fine. And of course if your Antivirus is disabled that is a sign of Malware.

One other point to mention is that Malware Bytes antimalware works best in normal mode, not safe mode as I understand it.

Good Luck
Roger

Thank you. : )

I'm not really sure what you mean about it knowing only to act up on the desktop. But my original suspicious was that maybe I had managed to damage the RAM or memory somehow because it seemed like my computer would be fine for the first few minutes until I started "intensive tasks." By intensive, I mean dragging and dropping files from one folder to the next. Does this make sense? I'm horrible at explaining things comprehensibly. I thought I damaged the RAM because the computer functioned normally with it's setup processes until I demanded more from it.

I appreciate the link, but unfortunately I cannot even get to the webpage before my computer freezes (even in safemode.) I think it's getting worse, as it freezes much more quickly now. As for antivirus, I had been using Avast, free version. I'm not sure how to determine if my antivirus was disabled. Also thank you for the tip about malwarebytes and safemode, I didn't know that.

Once again, thank you for the well wishes and support. I appreciate being able to get feedback from others. : )

Edited by Agent J, 13 December 2012 - 02:50 PM.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

If it's freezing in both normal Windows and Safe Mode, it could be a hardware problem:

To test your hard drive, I suggest that you run SeaTools for DOS.
  • Accept the agreement, download the SeaToolsDOS223ALL.iso file, then burn it to create a bootable CD.
    • If you don't know how to create a bootable CD from an "iso" file, see how to burn an iso image using Free ISO Burner.
  • Set your computer to boot from the CD\DVDROM drive first or press the appropriate F key at start-up to bring up the Boot Menu and then select CD\DVDROM drive.
  • Boot the computer from the SeaTools CD and accept the license agreement. Your hard drive should be listed.
    • Note: SeaTools does not recognise all SATA controllers so there is a chance that your hard drive won't be listed. If that's the case, then please let us know.
  • Highlight the drive to test.
  • Select "Basic Tests" from the top menu, then run the Long Test.
  • If the hard drive does not "Pass" the Long test, it is failing and shouldn't be trusted.

Let us know the results of the test.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 Agent J

Agent J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

If it's freezing in both normal Windows and Safe Mode, it could be a hardware problem:

To test your hard drive, I suggest that you run SeaTools for DOS.

• Accept the agreement, download the SeaToolsDOS223ALL.iso file, then burn it to create a bootable CD.
    • If you don't know how to create a bootable CD from an "iso" file, see how to burn an iso image using Free ISO Burner.
  • Set your computer to boot from the CD\DVDROM drive first or press the appropriate F key at start-up to bring up the Boot Menu and then select CD\DVDROM drive.
  • Boot the computer from the SeaTools CD and accept the license agreement. Your hard drive should be listed.
    • Note: SeaTools does not recognise all SATA controllers so there is a chance that your hard drive won't be listed. If that's the case, then please let us know.
  • Highlight the drive to test.
  • Select "Basic Tests" from the top menu, then run the Long Test.
  • If the hard drive does not "Pass" the Long test, it is failing and shouldn't be trusted.

Let us know the results of the test.

Okay! I'll get right on that. I'll have to go track down a writable CD Rom but I'm shooting for getting it done within the next few days.

Thanks again for the suggestions and thorough directions. Is there any chance the computer will lock up during the test if it isn't related to the harddrive?

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

Is there any chance the computer will lock up during the test if it isn't related to the harddrive?

If it ran the memory test without freezing, it'll probably be OK; however, anything is possible.

Regards,
Brooks

#9 Agent J

Agent J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

Okay, I downloaded the seatools and burned the image to a CD using toshiba CD burner, but I can't seem to get my computer to boot from the CD. I went into the BIOS menu upon start up and selected the CD drive but it said it failed to boot. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Thank you for your patience. Sorry it took a bit to respond. I had to move out of my dorm for winter break.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

Try using imgburn This is the download link When you install it be sure not to install the toolbar or other junk. There are others also, Maybe someone can mention them.

With imgburn, you install it, then with it installed you right click on the .iso file and choose burn with imgburn. I suspect you just burned the seatools .iso as a file and not as a image.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#11 Agent J

Agent J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:09 AM

Try using imgburn This is the download link When you install it be sure not to install the toolbar or other junk. There are others also, Maybe someone can mention them.

With imgburn, you install it, then with it installed you right click on the .iso file and choose burn with imgburn. I suspect you just burned the seatools .iso as a file and not as a image.

Roger

I never did manage to get that original disc to work but I will try what you have suggested to me.

But as an update: yesterday, I had a friend take a look at my computer. He speculated that it was probably software so I took what I wanted from the computer, we wiped it, installed a copy of windows 7 pro 64 and I've been using it sense. It's been running much better but has still been having frequent moments where it hangs for a few seconds before catching up. However it only seems to be getting worse. Moments ago it did another freeze up where I had to force quit because it had not recovered after a half an hour, so it seems whatever the problem is, the wipe hasn't solved it, only temporary made it better.

I know it's not a whole lot more information, and I'll try to run the seatools scan, but I have a samsung harddrive and wonder if it will be compatible with the diagnostics tool at all.

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:25 AM

SeaTools for DOS will work just fine on your Samsung hard drive. It works OK on most hard drive brands/models.

Here are some more detailed instructions for using ImgBurn to write an .ISO file to CD.

If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
    Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

Thanks AustrAlien for the additional.

Are you suspecting a bad drive like I do?

Cheers
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users