Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spywarequake, The Latest Rogue Antispyware Program.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:05 PM

Our "friends", the makers of SpyFalcon, SpywareStrike, Spyaxe, etc have released their latest iteration of rogue antispyware applications called SpywareQuake.SpywareQuake is a rogue antispyware program that gets installed on your computer via a Trojan that issues fake security alerts and downloads/installs the SpywareQuake software. This program is hoping to scare the infected users into purchasing the full commercial version for $49.95. The reality is that there is no need to purchase this software as its warning are all fake and this is simply a scam. If you get infected with this rogue antispyware app, please do not be fooled into buying it. Instead use the instructions in the link below to remove the software.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pounce25

pounce25

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 02:31 PM

Hi ,
I am following the "how to remove spywarequake" and when i get to step # 15... "Open the smitrem folder on your desktop" I have trouble moving the view around to click the smitRem folder on my desktop. I have tried to move the folder around before i go into safe mode as it seems i am only looking at the top left of desktop, but that does not help Can you help.

Thanks

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,716 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:43 PM

Not sure what you mean by moving the view around?

#4 usafmsgt

usafmsgt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:41 PM

Are this programs, if left alone, simply a nuisance or can they hijack your computer or steal information from any secure sites such as on line banking or stock trading programs?

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,716 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 01:15 PM

They tend to just be scamware trying to scare you into paying for a commercial version when there is no need to buy one.

#6 kyp

kyp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:45 PM

I followed the instructions on this site, for removing Spyfalcon (a few days ago) and then Spywarequake (yesterday). My computer seems back to normal but i'm not holding my breath. Thank you for the advice so far.

Now i want to be more proactive in protecting against this risk. I want to update windows but fear that my browser (IE) is being hijacked. When i try to visit what i assume is the MS site (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com), there seem to be a series of re-routes, ending in http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Sorry for the naivity of this question but does this look like the place to update XP ?

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:11 PM

I followed the instructions on this site, for removing Spyfalcon (a few days ago) and then Spywarequake (yesterday). My computer seems back to normal but i'm not holding my breath. Thank you for the advice so far.

Now i want to be more proactive in protecting against this risk. I want to update windows but fear that my browser (IE) is being hijacked. When i try to visit what i assume is the MS site (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com), there seem to be a series of re-routes, ending in http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Sorry for the naivity of this question but does this look like the place to update XP ?

Hello kyp, Yes that is the correct link. Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...t.aspx?ln=en-us
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 kyp

kyp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:33 PM

Thank you

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:42 PM

Hi, you're welcome..
Here's a bit more info on staying secure

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/1628/simple-steps-to-keep-your-computer-secure/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/841/best-practices-pc-worlds-avoid-viruses-scams/

good luck :thumbsup:

Edited by boopme, 27 March 2006 - 08:42 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 usafmsgt

usafmsgt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

Mcafee has added spywarequake to its files and it seems that it has cleaned it from my computer. As everyone else I will just have to wait and see. Maybe I will be able to have my bank reopen my online banking access. I asked them to close it just in case.

#11 Yale2010

Yale2010

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:28 PM

Thank you SO much for providing this. SpywareQuake totally snuck up on me, but I got it removed in under twenty minutes. The creators of these tools rock.

Thanks again!

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:14 PM

Glad it all worked out. Thank Grinler (the Site Admin.) for those tools. He has written so many great ones.

#13 Pete Belcher

Pete Belcher

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:37 AM

Used your "removal tools" with great success - many thanks.
Keep up the good work - if it wasn't for folks like you, I don't know where us "amatuers" would be.
Pete Belcher

#14 {KOR}L-Firefox

{KOR}L-Firefox

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:56 PM

What ^^^^HE^^^^ said!!!!!!!!!!

#15 boilingpoint

boilingpoint

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:24 AM

Got SpywareQuake , did a google search, came here, read simple instructions, got rid of problem, easy as...
many thanks.

spywarequake Vs Bleeping Computer
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users