Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop icons on Windows Vista wont appear

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DonnaN

DonnaN

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

I have an HP Pavillion with Windows Vista. Today when I turned on the laptop it processed as normal until it was time for the desktop icons to appear. It allows me to see the sign on screen where I put my password, but when it should proceed to the destop there is only a black screen. It will also shows the screen saver that pops up when inactive. Any suggestions on how to get my icons to appear again? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

Are there any icons in the task bar?

Can you right click in the task bar and open Task Manager?

What happens if you boot into Safe Mode?

What is the model of this Pavilion?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 DonnaN

DonnaN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

dc3: Its an HP pavillion dvd6 entertainment PC. I can pull up the task manager by using ctrl,alt,del. Is there something I can do in the task manager to make them show up again?

#4 DonnaN

DonnaN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

No task bar shows up anywhere on the screen. Is a simple black screen and as I said above the cntrl,alt,del brings up the task manager. Thank you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users