Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

autorun.inf

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gunner 1

gunner 1

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:11 AM

Hello,
Sorry for bringing this autorun.inf topic up again, I have tried just about everything listed in bleeping computer to get rid of autorun.inf, I have it on 3 usb sticks and there is 1 file on my C drive, when i try to delete I always get access denied, have tried autorun eater but couldnt get it to run, any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for any help.

Regards gunner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

You can try taking ownership and seeing if that helps (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421). Alternatively you can use MoveOnBoot (http://emcosoftware.com/move-on-boot).

But the files aren't doing any harm and they are tiny, why is it so important to delete them?

#3 gunner 1

gunner 1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

Hello Forum Addict,
The reason I want to remove it is because i keep getting this error message, The application has encountered a problem.... We are sorry for the inconvenience.... cannot open file E:\autorun.inf.Access denied.

I dont know how this has come about everything was working as normal a few days ago. so i thought removing autorun.inf would solve my problem.. (I hope)
Regards gunner

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

Deleting the file won't help. When do you get that message?

#5 gunner 1

gunner 1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

Hello Forum Addict,
I have Rootsmagic on my PC which also has a file called rootsmagic to go...which can be downloaded to a flash drive so you can use rootsmagic on other computers. that is when i get the error message trying to download the program to my flash drive. I had the program on a flash drive once before, so i know it used to work.
Regards gunner

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

I'm not sure I understand. Are you just trying to copy the file to a usb drive or do you have to run an installer to get the program on the usb drive? Please explain IN DETAIL what you are doing and when you get that message. Please explain all at once so we don't have to keep going back and forth. Thank you.

Oh, and my user name is Allan, not Forum Addict :)

Edited by Allan, 13 December 2012 - 10:40 AM.

#7 gunner 1

gunner 1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Hello Forum Addict,
Thank you for your patience, you pointed me in the right direction and i managed to get the program installed on the flash drive. can i just ignore the auturun.inf which is on the flash drive. thanks again much appreciated.
Regards gunner

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

Yes. Autorun.inf is the file that is accessed by the autorun.exe (or other startup file) to begin some routine. It should be in plain English if you want to open it with a text editor and see what it starts.

#9 gunner 1

gunner 1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

Thanks Allan,
will look at that, All the best for Christmas and the New Year

Regards gunner

#10 Allan