Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista cannot boot, locks up on crcdisk.sys in safe mode boot attempt

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 baztastic

baztastic

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

Good evening, one and all. I will try to include as much relevant info as possible:

trying to fix a toshiba satellite a135 for a friend. has vista (version unknown), and i have no idea if it has any SP, as I have yet to be able to get it to boot in anyway to a desktop. have not been able to get it to boot past the loading animation/copyright splash (goes to a blank screen instead of the desktop). safe mode /w networking was failing on a .sys entitled AVGIDSEH.sys. google got me to here: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19703_102-508463/avg-update-today-comp-won-t-boot/. I made the USB version of the Rescue CD and changed all AVG*.sys to .bak as directed. thinking there was 6-7 files renamed in the specified file path. tried to reboot, still no advancement. did safe mode w/networking again and it now locks up at crcdisk.sys. at this point, i popped in a hiren's disc and got it to run Startup Repair since I don't have any kind of Vista disk laying around. I initiated the attempt about 2.5 hours ago and it doesnt look like its doing anything. i see no hdd activity lights and the progress bar looks like more of a sliding progression bar than one that is actually moving forward in progress.

really, really trying not to reformat. (she needs this due to academic papers she doesnt have backed up anywhere else, plus the standard media (music/pictures/etc)

also, when do I throw in the towel and attempt to cancel Startup Repair. I see a number of topics on the internet where SR seems to run for hours and in some cases days and i am apprehensive in doing a hard boot if it is read/writing the hdd somehow.

please let me know if there is any information I am lacking that is relevant

thanks for the help!

-baz

Edited by baztastic, 13 December 2012 - 01:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 baztastic

baztastic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

ok sitrep: went to bed, woke up, Startup Repair is still running. Tried to cancel it, got a notification of "The current repair option cannot be cancelled". Does this mean its actually doing something or am I just wasting my time letting this run?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Did you run a diagnostic on the hard drive?

Louis

#4 baztastic

baztastic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

Did you run a diagnostic on the hard drive?

Louis

Not yet. Should I just power down at this point and give that a try?

#5 baztastic

baztastic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

OK, so, I powered down, reboot back into Hirens, and this time I just went into the miniXP build. The HDD is there and is active. I can nav through all users, so thats a good sign, right? I think at this point I'm going to just pull the files off via thumbdrive and once everything is off, i'm gonna reformat unless someone has a better idea.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

Well...the hard drive is the fundamental base on which all files/partitions and Windows exist. I like to know that the hard drive is functioning normally...before I move on to other possible causes of problems or attempted resolutions.

Looking at the symptoms you have posted...I'd run the appropriate diagnostic before trying to decide what might be next.

Louis

#7 baztastic

baztastic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

How do I go about running that diagnostic with out the Vista disc? Is there a utility in Hiren's that you recommend? I have v. 15 and was just gonna make it run chkdisk....

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

The world is larger than Hiren's and Vista disks :).

Hard drive manufacturer's provide utiities designed to assess the functionality of their products. These are available at the respective hard drive manufacturer website. The utility developed by one manufacturer...will not necessarily work properly on drives made by a different manufacturer.

You can determine the hard drive manufacturer...by either looking directly at the hard drive itself...or using the detail in Device Manager under Disk Drives.

Louis

#9 VIPER13

VIPER13

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

I'm in the same boat. I get to the same spot when trying to boot in safe mode and right now I am in panic mode and hate to think what will happen if my hard drive is shot. Any suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users