Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer loses usb connectivity when it is sleeping

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nightspear

Nightspear

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

Hello all,

My sister just upgraded her PC to one running Windows 8 64 bit. Since I am the tech savvy person in the family, I get the task of moving all her business programs and files over to the new pc. I had only one issue with the transfer of an ancient program that she absolutely loves, but she accepted the fact that it is not compatible with Windows 8 and needs an updated version. Now she has this printer problem. Every time her pc goes to sleep, the printer is no longer detected when it wakes.

The printer is a HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 A909a. I have checked with HP and it is compatible with Windows 8. I have d/l the latest software and drivers from HP and installed them as admin(no errors), replaced the printer cable, switched usb ports, updated the driver through Windows, uninstalled the software and drivers, used the cleaning utility from HP, D/l and re-installed the software and drivers as admin (no errors again). And last but certainly not the least tried to use HP Dr. which told me it was running fine. Keep in mind I did all this over the last week and not all on the same day.

She has to go through the following process every time she wakes her pc from sleep.
Control Panel >> Devices and Printers >> See What's Printing >> HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 A909a >> Printer >> uncheck Use Printer Offline >> reboot the printer.

Is there anything I can do to keep it from losing connectivity?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Have you followed the steps in this guide:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953367

It was created for Vista but will apply to 8 as well.

#3 Nightspear

Nightspear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

Hello Grinler,

I went through and followed the steps in the link you provide and the following link.

sleep and Hibernation FAQ.

Nothing has changed. Would it be possible to install the Windows7 software and drivers even though she is running Windows8?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

It wont hurt, but there is no guarantee it will work. Have you tried hibernation instead of sleeping?

#5 Nightspear

Nightspear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Not yet.hI will get back you on that latter this weekend.

#6 Nightspear

Nightspear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back about the problem. I tried hibernation and I get the same problem. Windows 7 drivers and software didnt help either. I have been researching the mobo for a bios update and nothing new has been released. I want to uninstall all USB ports and have Windows re-detect and re-install them. What is your take on this option?

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Worth a try, but these issues are typically driver related unfortunately.

You can also check your computer's bios and see if there are any power management settings for USB located in there. If so, disable them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users