Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates Boinks Computer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 brus brother

brus brother

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

I was given an HP desktop running VISTA 32 bit to sort out. The computer would just continually restart and often lose the CMOS date, warning of unexpected failures, ask to enter startup, restore etc. I changed to a fresh battery (twice) to eliminate that as a cause. Sorry I am not near the box at the moment to identify the particular hardware, Sp etc.
After running a variety of antivirus scanners, reg cleaners etc, I decided to call it a day and resorted to recreating the windows partition.
I experimented with two separate hard drives. One I reformatted and recreated from discs, the other was original to the box and I used the restore discs as well.
Here is where I am stumped.
With either of the hard drives, everything is fine and dandy with the rebuild. I can access the internet, wireless works, turn the computer on and off, unplug the power to the box, the CMOS date remains accurate UNTIL I allow Windows Automatic Update to install it's 94 updates when I go to shut down.
It appears that one or more of the updates is producing the conflict.
How do I go about sorting out which of these updates is boinking the box?
Installing 94 updates one by one to determine the culprit is more than my patience can handle.
For the time being, I have turned off automatic updates and all is fine on one of the hard drives and the other drive (disconnected) sits with the updates but in the damaged mode of shutting down and warnings. So, I have a way to compare and evaluate potential fixes by swapping in the "updated" drive if I can determine which of the updates is the culprit.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Edited by brus brother, 13 December 2012 - 04:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

How do you have the update options set in the Control Panel?

As you can see in the picture below you have options under the Important updates for installing your updates. The second option "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" will give you the option to install the updates one at a time. Install the updates until you find the one which is causing this problem.

Posted Image

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 brus brother

brus brother
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

OK. That's a good suggestion. I was hoping there was an easier way considering it wants to install 94 updates and doing it one at a time could be tedious.
I set it to "don't download" yesterday testing my theory of the correlation of the problem to the automatic updates.
I will start off downloading and installing only the "important" ones as that will probably lessen the pain of the otherwise 94 updates in the automatic mode.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

What I would do is skip past the 94 updates and first make sure I had the latest Service pack installed. Each one made Vista better.

What service pack are you running. If none download from Microsoft and install SP1, If at SP1, then Install SP2.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 brus brother

brus brother
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

The box is at work so it'll have to wait until Monday. I think I'll pursue the Sp upgrade scenarios as recommended by rotort123. That is sort of idea I was hoping for. I didn't want to play 94 bottles of beer on the wall for the upgrades!
When I went in today, I got a message that windows had recovered from blah blah blah. Did I want to check on line for a solution or cancel. I tried the on line check before and that did nothing so I cancelled and the beast started and ran just fine.

#6 brus brother

brus brother
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

OK I went to Microsoft website. I got SP1 installed. First time through it said something like the file wasn't signed correctly so I tried again and on the second try it installed.
But when I try to install SP2 I get the same warning and it closes and still after 4 tries I get the same message, it closes and I can't seem to get it to install.
Thoughts?
The good news is that even with SP1, the computer seems to run fine ie no more constant restarts.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

This is a very large file, what is you download speed?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 brus brother

brus brother
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:29 AM

This is a very large file, what is you download speed?

Not sure. Cable but perhaps if you are suspect, I could save then install instead of run from download option?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

Have you closed all other applications when you try to install the SP?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

Thank you for clarifying this.:thumbup2:

#11 brus brother

brus brother
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Have you closed all other applications when you try to install the SP?

All that was running was Firefox as I was installing in "Run" mode. As I said earlier, I will try saving it and then running it from the folder.

#12 brus brother

brus brother
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

Had to run Windows Update Readiness Tool for Vista thru MS using their Fix It program.
Now I have SP2 running.
Before I ran the programs today, when I first turned on the computer, I got a blue screen with text that quickly went to a windows error and questioned did I want to search the net for solution blah blah blah.
Don't know if I'll have better luck when next I boot up in a couple of days. It seems it doesn't like being ignored for too long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users