Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Headphone Plug In Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Christoph182

Christoph182

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:48 PM

Hey guys, I have a computer and it has a plug in for the headphone at the front of it. But the only problem is that when I plug my headphones in. there is no sound.. Is there a setting in Windows98 I can change for it to work or something??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 06:47 PM

Is there a setting in Windows98 I can change for it to work or something??

Possibly, if there is a control centre for your sound, often as an applet in the system tray, it may have a setting to switch between line out and headphone mode.

But that depends on things like whether the sound card has that capability, whether the switch can be done in software, or if jumpers have to be moved, and even whether the front socket is actually connected up.

Also, even though the case may designate the socket for headphone, if the sound card/chip only has a line output, headphones may sound rather faint.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:22 PM

Quite often, cases come with front jacks. They aren't always hooked up inside. Have you tried a jack on the back of the case?

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:37 AM

Quite often, cases come with front jacks. They aren't always hooked up inside. Have you tried a jack on the back of the case?

Herk is correct. Also, some computers you will have a choice of using the rear jacks or the front jacks, but you may not be able to hook up both for use at the same time. I would check the jacks on the back to see if they work, then, like Herk said, see if the front jack is even hooked up.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:48 PM

Hey guys, I have a computer and it has "a" plug in for the headphone at the front of it.

Okay, I'll say it.
Are you sure we're not talking about the cd-rom headphone jack here? :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 30 March 2006 - 03:48 PM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:32 AM

Are you sure we're not talking about the cd-rom headphone jack here? :thumbsup:

Good thought. Christoph, if it's the headphone socket as indicated in the slightly wonky diagram below, then it only carries sound when playing a CD

Posted Image
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users