Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to view AVI files from external hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

A couple of years ago, I bought a little device called a "media centre", which connected to my external hard drive via USB and to my TV via A/V cables. This "media centre" allowed me to watch all of the AVI files I keep on my external HD. It was the perfect little device, really....

...Until the remote broke. And there are no buttons on the machine itself. And apparently I can't get a replacement remote.

So now, all of my AVI files (all 1 TB worth of them!) are "trapped" on my external drive, with no way to watch them on my TV.

I'm looking for a (relatively) inexpensive way to watch those files on my TV. Are there DVD players that have USB ports? I've gone to my local branch of The Source, but all they have to offer are devices that are way too fancy and complicated for what I need (I don't need to stream TV or have Facebook on my TV or anything like that; I just want a way to watch the files on my HD.)

Does anyone have any suggestions (keeping in mind that I'm in Canada, so Canadian suggestions would be appreciated)?

My apologies if this post is in the wrong place!

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell Inspiron 5537
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

Assuming that you have a computer system...watching .avi files or any other type of files...is no different than doing so from a drive attached internally.

The proper player on the computer...results in the ability to play, edit, etc.

If your question is really...how do I watch video files on my computer...the answer is it's done every day by means of various devices, depending on the TV involved.

Many users use TVs as their monitors.

Louis

#3 Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

you can buy a DVD player that has a usb slot, plug the drive to the dvd player, and connect the dvd player to the tv.
but if your TV can play files from a usb port, then insert the drive to the usb port of the TV.

#4 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

If your question is really...how do I watch video files on my computer...the answer is it's done every day by means of various devices, depending on the TV involved.

But that's not what my question is. I can watch video files on my computer, yeah, I know that. I do it every day, so that's not what I'm looking to do. What I'm looking to do is exactly what I said: I'd like to find a way to connect my external hard drive to my TV so I can watch the files that way.

Thanks for your input, in any case.

Dell Inspiron 5537
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

#5 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

you can buy a DVD player that has a usb slot, plug the drive to the dvd player, and connect the dvd player to the tv.
but if your TV can play files from a usb port, then insert the drive to the usb port of the TV.

I can't connect my drive directly to the TV. It's not an "old" TV, but it's "old" in terms of what it can do with USB and all that stuff. There's no fancy stuff on my TV, just the A/V inputs (you know, the red, yellow, and white ports). So there's no USB or HDMI capabilities. I think I'd have to go the DVD player route; I just wasn't really sure if DVD players these days had that ability.

Thanks for the response!

Dell Inspiron 5537
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

From This page I have the WD TV Live and the WD TV Live Hub. I prefer the live hub since by connecting it to the network It becomes a simple DNA NAS. I can map it on my computer and move files to it or from it or delete, organize etc. I have two 2Tb USb externals hooked up to it giving me 5 TB total. 2 x 2Tb and the 1Tb internal. It plays most anything in the video, audio or jpg families. I don't have to plug and unplug to move files.

The WD TV Live that is also hooked up to the network elsewhere can play files off of the live hub as can the computer over the network.

One of my better purchases.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:49 PM

If he's TV is as old as what I think what he meant to say, it might not support that WD Live TV.. Does the WD Live TV have A/V outputs?

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

Jan, From here http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

HDMI and composite video output.
The HDMI port lets you connect to the highest quality HDTV or home theater. Additional composite (RCA outputs) ensure compatibility with virtually all television sets.

Some other handy features.

Turn your smartphone or tablet into a touch-screen remote.

Control your WD TV experience with the swipe of a finger using the WD TV Remote™ app. Great for text input when logging into a service and searching for a movie or video. One-touch access to your favorite online services. Download the free app from the Apple® iTunes store or the Android™ Market.

Automatic play.
Select your favorite song, movie, or photo slideshow to automatically play when the device is turned on. Perfect for living art on your HDTV or for digital signage.

Here is the difference between the Live and the Live HUB. The live hub can act as a NAS whereas the Live

Watch your favorite live and recorded shows in any corner of your house, just add a Slingbox®. Use WD TV Live as a set-top-box for other rooms using the Slingplayer® app and get access to your cable service when you take WD TV on the go. With Slingbox and WD TV Live, you can extend your complete living room HDTV experience to another TV in your home, or around the world.

Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 14 December 2012 - 10:50 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users