Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Putting metal tweezers in a USB port

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pianoman2054

Pianoman2054

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

My daughter decided to try putting tweezers in the USB port. Why? I don't know. Anyway, the computer just emits a high pitched whine now when you turn it on. And that's it. Any ideas on what it could've blown? Or what I could remove to get it to work again? Motherboard shot?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

Take a look at this page. You will see a damaged USB port and a suggestion for curing it. It applies to all computers with USB ports not just Lenovo laptops.

I have fixed inoperative computers due to damaged USB ports using a similar method.

If you do find that the port is damaged and get the pins separated from themselves and the Ports metal shell and the computer works again. I suggest carefully filling the damaged port with something like hot melt glue so nothing can be plugged in that port again. You want to make sure it does not short again.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users