Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back-up Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rougehott

Rougehott

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:29 PM

I need to figure out the best way to back up all my data. I have a gazillion MP3 files and LARGE pictures. I have been saving them to to DVD/CD but they are getting out of control :thumbsup: and it is becoming very messy to keep track organized. Someone suggested that I get another removable hard drive that connects via USB. This way I can have my files mirror the hard drive on my computer. Any suggestions on brands, or what I should get? Also, would I need to install all the anti spy ware/virus ware junk as well on the new drive? Any thoughts or suggestions on how to manage all this media would be great!

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 03:17 PM

In my opinion the BEST way would be to burn them to CD as you aquire them. The way I like backing up files of any kind is a RAID card with a hard drive setup to mirror the first. Use could also use microsoft's Windows Backup utility on a timer to back you file to a seperate drive (Slave, USB, ATA). It is not fancy but it will do the job.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Rougehott

Rougehott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 03:53 PM

Can you please clarify what a RAID card is? I have never heard of that before. The reason why I'm sick of CDs is that want everything organized by musician. I'm finding that even if I leave space on a CD for when I get something new, it quickly runs out. Then I have to create a NEW CD and my music is all over the place. Trials and tribulations I tell ya :thumbsup: Is ATA a brand of hard drive? I'm learning.... :flowers: "back up utlitiy on a 'timer'" what does that mean exaclty. Thanks!

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:57 PM

Can you please clarify what a RAID card is? I have never heard of that before.

RAID is a software or hardware device that will allow you to mirror (copy) one drive to another. Raid Level 1 is called mirror. Simple put, the hardware device will make a mirror image of your data on a second hard drive.

RAID Defined
Example of a IDE RAID cad

The reason why I'm sick of CDs is that want everything organized by musician. I'm finding that even if I leave space on a CD for when I get something new, it quickly runs out. Then I have to create a NEW CD and my music is all over the place. Trials and tribulations I tell ya :thumbsup:

If this is how you feel then you should use a hard drive back up. I was not referring to burning CDs to carry around, just to make sure you had a master back up.

Is ATA a brand of hard drive? I'm learning.... :flowers: "back up utlitiy on a 'timer'" what does that mean exaclty. Thanks!

ATA, ISE, EIDE, are basicly the common hard drive. Many names for the same thing. I made typo when I typed ATA. I meant SATA, which is fastly becoming the popular type of consumer hard drives. It does not use the same connection as a standard IDE.
If you use a USB drive you need to make sure your system supports USB 2.0. If not you need to buy a PCI USB 2.0 expandition card. About $20.

#5 Rougehott

Rougehott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:54 PM

So I would need two decives? The RAID card and a new hard drive? Couldn't I just save the data directly to the new Hard Drive? That is, connect via USB (my Laptop supports 2.0) and just copy files over? Please advise.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:06 PM

Sure. You could buy just a hard drive and install it internal of your computer and save even more. I was just giving the options I would do. I don't like USB. Buy a bare hard drive, which should be $30 less than the same size USB external hard drive. Slave it to the primary hard drive in your computer now. You can use Microsft's Backup which comes with XP.

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Backup

You can read the HELP files in the Sart menu for more information.

#7 Rougehott

Rougehott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:04 PM

Ok, Sorry to be a pain but you lost me and so did the windows help section. I had a chance to look at the Help backup/restore in windows and I'm confused about all the diffierent options

I want to keep it simple :thumbsup: I know you mentioned getting an internal hard drive but I dont want to mess with opening and then breaking my laptop as i have NO idea where it would go. I just want to keep it simple:

Get a new external hard drive that connects via USB 2.0
connect it to my computer about once a week
and press a button that will copy any new or changed files to the external drive.
Also, I don't want to be the one having to select which files have changed as I will never remember.

Finally, is here a need for AV on the external HD? I'm thinking no, but wanted to double check.

The more details the better in your reply! Thanks and have a great weekend!!

L

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users