Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free/Paid

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 midou1994

midou1994

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

Hi,

I just wanted to ask the bleeping experts out their a few questions time and again people including me ask the question regarding paid vs free and well which is better Antivirus/suite and stuff
and the response shows us the things to be kept in mind when an Antivirus is chosen and the pages are really excellent!!!!!

I understand that the bleeping janitor and other Senior member have years of experience with security and other related stuff...
but what I don`t understand Is

Free Antivirus now I am newbie so do forgive me for a Dumb question....
Microsoft Security essential has been consistently been ranked low when it comes to detection and prevention....
But its highly recommended

What is the reason?
Is it some kind of propaganda against free Antivirus??

Or

Is MSE good for literate computer users....

I read that a system that has Windows Firewall(Win7/vista) Have plenty of open ports when compared to a firewall from a Security Vendor like Kaspersky..

so is this again just making a mountain of nothing are they exaggerating things or these security loop holes.....

Most Paid Antivirus like Norton,Kaspersky have layers of Protection still they seems to miss a few so how its possible for a feebie like MSE to raise a red flag when some nasties pop out....

Is free Antivirus Good enough when a User uses the online account(no email client) for checking mails does not install too much crapware,and updates all the software frequently??????????

Question 2:

A recent post said that Malware Bytes is an Antimalware so can be run along side an AV even the Pro version...
lets say the system has a few nasties like may be the TDSS rootkit and both AV and MBAM `s real time module tak action won`t that cause a kind of dead lock?????

I`m not against MSE just wish to know the reason behind it being recommend so highly

I understand the experts here have dealt with threats in past and have Good reasons for recommending it but then again

Should a novice user like me simply ignore all the pages claiming that free Software always has limitations and it can never match a paid software???
Midou

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

Hi, in regards to MSE. It is decent enough to be used by the average user and is engineered to stop the most common threats. This means, however, that it may not stop some little-known threat that some of the bigger companies may catch. It is by no means a bad program. Know that most infections come from running infected files. MSE does a decent job recognizing and stopping most well known infections.

There are many free alternatives that personally I feel are much better than MSE. Avast and Avira are the 2 biggest. An AV is enough protection for most. As long as you are running the built in Windows firewall in Windows Vista, 7 or 8 you should be fine. For XP, you may want to include a second party firewall instead of the Windows one. One highly recommended one is Comodo.

Question 2:

Malwarebytes and AV programs detect different things so as far as I know the chance of them both detecting the same file is slim.

MSE is great for novice computer users. It is very "set it and forget it", but for more advanced users, it leaves a bit to be desired

#3 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Question 2:

A recent post said that Malware Bytes is an Antimalware so can be run along side an AV even the Pro version...
lets say the system has a few nasties like may be the TDSS rootkit and both AV and MBAM `s real time module tak action won`t that cause a kind of dead lock?????

The way Anti-Viruses work is that anything your pc comes in contact with whether it be downloading, email or through your network it should automatically pick up on it and block/remove it. Malwarebytes' however will not and only when the file attempts to run. It also will only detect executables and not any other types like vbscripts, infected word documents or exploits from java or your operating system.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:11 AM

Microsoft Security essential has been consistently been ranked low when it comes to detection and prevention....
But its highly recommended
What is the reason?

Hello -
The main reason for the "Test failure" of M.S.E. was in finding "Zero day infections in the wild", as I read the test results -
Microsoft automatically update the program at least once every day, once it has found or identified an infection as Valid and not just Suspect -

M.S.E. is a good antivirus, and I have used it on 2 computers for ages - It has found several infections and removed them instantly each time -

Thank You -

#5 midou1994

midou1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

Thanks for the responses ,

its just that i want to know if the effectiveness of free AV is that much different than a paid

Or is it just pay for software companies exaggerating stuff......

anyways

thanks Again
Midou

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

Effectiveness as an AV there is not a huge difference between them, paid or free. Each has an area of strength or strengths. Where paid really shines is customization, ease and access of support, and lets not forget lots of bells and whistles.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 midou1994

midou1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for your response Animal
Midou

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

You're quite welcome.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

Hi -
As long as you stay within the range of "generally common" Antivirus programs, and know how to set "Active Protection" there is very little difference.

Some paid versions will have a Firewall and Extras (as per Animal), but most Free versions are generally suitable for about 80 to 90% of private users
If you are running a commercial operation, I would start with a Paid version, but I have never paid for any Antivirus / Firewall on my home systems yet

I hope these ideas all give you something to work on - If not, please ask for futher specific information or help if required -
Do not ask for the "Best" program, as this has been covered many times, and choose what suits You best, as that is the answer you will get ........

Regards -

#10 midou1994

midou1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

Hi,

The question was to know if paid program was better than free that is when it came to removing a threat and well lets say overall quality of Product

I have got sufficient points

I will stick with MSE,Win patrol and Malware Bytes...

AS for the other system on which banking is done it may take some time for me to putting total faith in
free software to protect the system...

Its well the mind set I have Just saved myself a few Rs 1000 by trusting free AV on My Lappy....

As For Desktop with Vista Goes successive versions Kaspersky have been doing their job well.....

Thank You all for reading my post patiently and Replying

Thanks!!!

:thumbsup:

Edited by midou1994, 14 December 2012 - 02:23 PM.

Midou

#11 Alex-C

Alex-C

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hi,

I will stick with MSE,Win patrol and Malware Bytes...

:thumbsup:

Hello midou, IMO it really doesn´t make a big difference whether you opt for a free or a paid AV, because if you choose an AV as your only protection layer, there´s a big chance that you´ll get infected sooner or later (0 day threats). By using different protective layer beside an AV, the way you´re doing by adding WinPatrol and MBAM, you´re adding valuable protection to your computer.

#12 midou1994

midou1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

Thanks
Midou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users