Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it ok to delete old versions of updates

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lindaga35

lindaga35

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

Toshiba AMD E-240 Processer 1.50 GHz 2.00 GB(1.60GB usable) Is it ok to delete all the old updates that you have to install?? Like flash updates and other stuff.

64 Bit Operating system

I didnt know if you would need all this info but I put it just in case.

I can't play games on facebook, Everything is up to date as far as I know.

Thank you for your help! I use fire fox, google crome, IE

Linda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

If you are talking about updates in general...I've always considered them to be cumulative...that is one update does not replace a prior update, it builds upon it.

I've never considered uninstalling any update, be it to a program or drivers or Windows...based on that premise.

As for java and flash updates...they are a tad different in that they are cumulative, with the preceding versions needing to be uninstalled/replaced. Usually, that's part of the installation process performed by the new version...that's the way that I interpret those.

I don't know anything about updates issued by Toshiba, I have no proprietary/OEM systems other than a Samsung laptop which I seldom use.

Louis

#3 lindaga35

lindaga35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

we have a compaq laptop and it has the same windows 7 and 64 bit. and It's a whole lot faster. Is it just the brand of the pc that is making it faster? im trying to find a way to "safely" speed up my Toshiba laptop. I do not know how to do all the suggestions that is pinned in this fourm.

Thank you in advance for helping me.

I'm not good at pc stuff. Could it be the browers?

Linda

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

The O/S installed...is just one variable in system performance.

Hard drive space...RAM installed...programs installed...system components...are just the most obvious that I would consider. Laptop A made 6 years ago...is not comparable to Laptop B made 1 year ago. A system made by one OEM is not necessarily comparable to a system by another OEM, depending on the items I listed above.

<<I do not know how to do all the suggestions that is pinned in this fourm.>>

You should never...consider implementing all the suggestions...that may be posted...in a forum where anyone can suggest or post anything. Not all have the same merit/substance.

There are at least two approaches you can take.

One...use Google to try to obtain data/information...about the seeming validity of any suggestion.

Two...you can review the statements, responses by others to suggestions, etc...for any member, at any time...just by reading a given topic all the way through. That's the method I use for determining who is knowledgeable, along with a "does that make sense" attitude :).

Once you have some idea of who may be able to assist you and who cannot...just post a topic in the appropriate forum and await some responses from the membership.

Just bear in mind...that attempting to troubleshoot a system which is not within view/arm's length...is not as easy as changing the channel on the TV :).

But the membership will try to assist you...to help, not hurt.

Louis

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

A very comprehensive guide with instructions and further reading is here: Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware

If you don't know how to do something, ask as hamluis said and someone will do their best to guide and help you through the process.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Hello -
If you are overly concerned, please download and run this small program on the problem computer, then post back the results

Please download MiniToolBox, Save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following boxes:
•Flush DNS
•Report IE Proxy Settings
•Reset IE Proxy Settings
•Report FF Proxy Settings
•Reset FF Proxy Settings
•List content of Hosts
•List IP configuration
•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files

Click Go and copy / paste the result (Result.txt).

As per hamluis ; Each computer may not have all the exact same programs installed, or even a RAM stick may be failing -
One may have picked up a small infection, or had an unwise program installed that changes the way it operates

Also a quick reminder ....... Never download those Speed Up My PC programs, as they are 99.9% Scams that do not work -

Thank You -

#7 lindaga35

lindaga35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

ok, thank you all for your help.

I will try the suggestions.

Linda