Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble with a Cisco Modem and Drobo FS networked

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 pineapple48

pineapple48

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:44 AM

Hi,

I'm hoping someone has some advice for me. We have a wired network at home, business ADSL2, with a Drobo FS as the storage, and WD Live media players attached to the televisions. We also have 3 windows 7 computers, and a variety of laptops, tablets and phones which can all access the storage and internet. We also have a TP Link wireless router to extend the wifi. We used to have a Thompson modem and this system worked quite efficiently. We then upgraded to a Cisco Small Business Pro modem, and since then have had various issues - most important the access to the Drobo is extremely slow. Accessing with a computer can take 30s - 1min, when it used to be instant. Apart from being annoying, our older media players would time out before connected, needed to be reconnected several times before finally being able to access the storage. We've tried various things but nobody has a clear idea what the problem is. I'm thinking some conflict with the new modem, since that's when the problems started. We had to change the IP addresses of everything, since the Cisco runs on xxx.xxx.15.x instead of xxx.xxx.1.x I'm sorry if I haven't explained this clearly enough, as I'm not the most technical person. I'm hoping someone has some ideas on what needs tweaking so that it runs smoothly again.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

Let me be sure A ADSL2 Modem connects your Network to your ISP it does not route traffic on your network. A ADSL2 compatible Router will connect you to your ISP AND route traffic on your network. What model number Cisco appliance do you have?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 pineapple48

pineapple48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your help! The model number is SRP527W. The phone company installed the Cisco when they changed the broadband.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

Thanks, The Cisco SRP527W is an ADSL2 Router.
1.Where on the Network is the Drobo FS Installed? Ethernet to the Cisco, Ethernet to the TP Link?
2.What Model TP Link Router are you using as an access point and how is it connected to the Network Wireless or Ethernet?
3.What Devices Connect To the Cisco Directly and How Are they Connected Wireless, Or Ethernet?
4.What Devices Connect To the TP Link?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 pineapple48

pineapple48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

Hi, thanks for the help.

1. Drobo is plugged into the Trendnet switch via ethernet.
2. TL-WA801ND TP Link is plugged into the switch via ethernet. It used to just bounce the wifi without being wired to the network, but when we changed from the Thompson I couldn't get it configured.
3. The only thing connected to the Cisco is the Trendnet switch. Wirelessly we have Iphones, an Asus slate and an android tablet, as well as an occasional laptop.
4. Wirelessly connected to the TP Link are the Iphones, an Asus slate and an android tablet, as well as an occasional laptop. It is connected to the Trendnet switch via ethernet.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

I can only assume you have a home business hence the requirement for business class service. The Cisco router you have is a very advanced router that is not easily set up. Was it configured specifically for your network by the isp (asside from the ADSL2 )? You didn't mention a Trendnet switch before. What model number is it? The Cisco router has wireless built in why isn't it being used? What model drobo fs do you have? The Wd Live units connect to Tp-link did they previously connect to the Thompson unit? Sorry I know its allot of questions with out any answers yet I need to map out your network to spot any potential problems. After the Cisco unit was installed did you reset the configurations on any devices or just connect it all and allow the the Cisco to assign the new ip addresses?

Edit: In this setup the router really has no effect on the network at all accept provide a gateway to the internet. Try disconnecting everything from the switch except 1 pc and the drobo see what the transfer speed is.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 24 December 2012 - 01:59 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 pineapple48

pineapple48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Yes, we have a home business. It was not configured by the ISP for our network, they simply came and set it up for the internet. We'd had no help from them in this regard, when we contacted them about the issues they told us we should have our own IT person to deal with it. Unfortunately as a small business we don't have one, which is why we are trying to fix it ourselves. Sorry I neglected to mention the switch, it is a Trendnet 16 port greennet switch TEG-S16Dg. We do use the wifi from the Cisco, but it isn't strong enough to reach through all of the house. So the TP link is at the other end to provide wifi for the rest of the house. I cannot find a model number for the Drobo FS, it has 5 bays. The WDLive units are connected via ethernet to the switch, they have always been connected like this - we have not used them wirelessly. When the Cisco was installed we had to switch the Drobo to automatic IP (it was on manual) and it and the WD units configured themselves. The Drobo has been switched back to maunal on the IP address the Cisco gave it. The TP Link I configured manually, which took weeks as nothing seemed to work. During this time of the TP Link offline, the network still had the access and speed issues. We will disconnect everything except one pc and the drobo and let you know the result.

Thank you for your help, if you need anymore information, please let me know.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

You do have your "own" IT person :wink: I can help you configure the Cisco even show you the goodies it offers. When you disconnect the switch you will loose your ip settings you will need to set the pc static like you did on the drobo.

Please click watch this topic at the top of the post's, and set your email notification settings to immediate. I receive an email for every topic posted in Networking, if you dont hear from me for 24 hours send me a PM I may have missed the email.
I post allot at night from a Android smart phone forgive the typos. I am usually VERY busy during the day I will repost as soon as I get a chance. Lastly if a suggestion sounds completely wrong or you already did it ask me about it I either missed the answer or I posted the wrong information .

Edited by Sneakycyber, 26 December 2012 - 02:45 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 pineapple48

pineapple48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

Okay, we disconnected everything from the switch except the drobo and 1 pc and the speed was the same as when everything is hooked up.

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

Sorry for the Delay. Check this Guide if you have any questions let me know.

Credit:Drobo Support

Edited by Sneakycyber, 30 December 2012 - 09:52 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#11 pineapple48

pineapple48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

Thanks for the link, unfortunately it is for a Drobo share, which is different to our Drobo FS.

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

do you have the model number?>
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#13 pineapple48

pineapple48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:38 AM

Hi,

I am sorry, I have looked but cannot find a model number for the Drobo FS. I have this link to the drobo site, I don't know if this helps.

Thank you for your help.

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Sorry for the delay I was away from the forums with work I will take a look and see what I can find.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#15 pineapple48

pineapple48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

Thanks very much :)