Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did I do this right ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

I do not know where ot put this, so here goes nothing

Due ot the recent lack of proper security for IE 8 on XP or older machines, I chose to uninstall it and just use Google Chrome; however as soon as I uninstalled IE 8 I got update notices right away for IE 7 so I uninstalled IE 7 and right away I got update notices for IE 6, I had uninstalled that as well by going into my windows reg are and resetting the key from 1 to 0 to pretty much shut it down directly so it is not on my machine.

I restarted my laptop, windows told me "Internet Explorer 6 has been removed from this system, uninstall personalised settings ?" I clicked YES, so far, no further updates for IE have come to my machine, yet.

Did I do it right ?

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:33 AM

You cannot in fact remove Internet Explorer from Windows, as parts of IE perform functions within the Operating System. You can indeed prevent IE from being able to run its browser executable, however an XP system with the IE components being version 6 is the least safe form, as the potential security holes that were closed in IE7 and IE8 are now open to possible exploit. The least vulnerable configuration is IE8 fully updated, and if you do not wish to have it possible to use the browser (which is just one component of Internet Explorer), disable the iexplore executable.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

The thing is, I do not like IE on my laptop, I want it gone, if I go into the regedit and change the settings for it in there, that disables the exe file correct ? If that is disabled, why am I getting updates for IE 6 when I do not use it, because personally it seems kind of stupid to have two internet browsers and never using one of them, in which case I want to free up space, the least used items are normally the first to go

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

As has been said, in XP you cannot uninstall and free up space by removing or uninstalling IE. It is symbiotic with the XP OS and too tightly integrated. Removing it will disable or break other features within the OS itself. You can however choose to use any other browser or browsers and ignore IE as I do.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

I currently use Chrome for my browser, however, I followed a step by step guide to at least try and stop the automatic updates for it. I got my firewalls solidly running, so far so good. but if I cannot completely remove it to use the space it is taking up, {it does not appear on add/remove programs anymore} its still on my system, just, disabled after tweaking the reg key for the executable ?

I just want to be sure that it wont just up and start up even on accident or if a program requires it.

I left IE and went Chrome because Chrome was streamlined and I liked how it worked over IE in terms of speed and also adblock and the like.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

Well, it won't start up automatically as long as Chrome is your default browser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users