Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Helping a friend: What is the danger in running ComboFix--and what are the options?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gf1701

gf1701

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

I've been helping a friend try and rid his computer of malware, and the front-line weapons of rkill.exe, Malwarebytes, and TDSSKiller have failed to completely remove the infection from his computer (I did restore a clean HOSTS file, so he can at least access websites instead of being redirected every time he clicks a link). I tried using System Restore (Windows XP) to restore to a prior checkpoint, but upon reboot, it said that it was unable to restore to the checkpoint. My friend and I are separated by 3,000 miles and three time zones, and his computer literacy is very low; he has to be walked step by step through everything (for example, it took 2 1/2 hours for him to download the aforementioned tools on his friends laptop, copy them to a USB drive, and then onto his Windows desktop; I was on the phone with him the whole time). When we got his internet capability back, I got him to download Teamviewer, and I'm able to connect to him remotely now, but almost everything we try requires rebooting, so I'm limited as to what I can see. As it stands now, he can use his computer, subject to occasional spontaneous displays of Internet Explorer trying to access a website that McAfee blocks. And of course, who knows what is happening in the background? The only idea I have left is running ComboFix. I've seen the warnings against running ComboFix without the supervision of a certified helper (which I obviously am not). Having my friend contact bleepingcomputer.com and work with one of their experts is far beyond his capabilities. I'm open to suggestion, and to running diagnostic tools on his computer and posting the results here. Thanks.

Gary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

First Fully read this page Please DO NOT USE COMBOFIX on your own without supervision!!!
Combofix can Kill an operating system in the wrong hands, and without correct supervision -

Now I would give the best idea that can be put forward - -

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting from step :step6: . If you / he cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues, and the basic steps you / he have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you / he can produce at least some logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow His Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

My friend and I are separated by 3,000 miles and three time zones, and his computer literacy is very low

Please note that I am posting from Australia, and your location may be 1,000's of miles away, but I can still give advice from here -
The Experts can help all beginners and are trained to do exactly this -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users